5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Took it back to the shop and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Took it back to the shop and...

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

my 3.73s dont whine either, they howl on deccel though and it sounds good.
Jesus dude, do you think your sig is big enough? Might wanna' resize it a little.

his is tiny compared to what mine used to be!
LOL! That's for sure!!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
gilitche

the type of steal used by different company and the style in which they mill them has a big impact on this problem. if the gears are installed right try a different gear lube to try quieting them down. also there is an additive you add to the oil that helps as well. in the end when it comes to a part like this always buy the ford part. no one spends more on research than them.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gilitche

the type of steal used by different company and the style in which they mill them has a big impact on this problem. if the gears are installed right try a different gear lube to try quieting them down. also there is an additive you add to the oil that helps as well. in the end when it comes to a part like this always buy the ford part. no one spends more on research than them.
Thanks for the replies everyone. The gears are Ford Racing, and I've tried two different kinds of gear oil to quell the sound. The point is, I don't think I should be hearing any sound, regardless of the fluid. I think I'm going to drop the car back off at the shop tomorrow, and have the gears set up again. It's just that the problem is so subtle; it would be a shame to get the car back with a problem that is not so subtle.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Im having the same problem, took it to ford and they said its normal and should go away, they only whine in forth. We looked at the rear end and there was no wear or shavings. So until I see a noticible difference in the whine, where there damage being cause ill just leave it. Granted its annoying There not much i can do abour it.
You do realize why they say "it'll go away" right? Ford has always done that, reminds the Power Steering pump issue "drive 500 miles and it'll go away" you know why it goes away? You get used to it. There's no need for them to be broken in. They're just trying to get out of work.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Take it to a different shop and tell them that you started hearing a howling from it as you described. Also dont tell them that a different shop did it if anything say you did and say you se the back lash on the tighter side and such. See what they say and ask if they can take a look at it. Watch out though cause the other shop may just say yeah the flux capacitator is going out and charge you in the *** for a new one. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM
spudz
2nd Gear Member

Gears made with different alloys make different noises. I go through this all the time with customers. Basicly the whine you here is always goin to be there. All you can do about it is set it up different. Basicly your moving the whine somewhere else where you wont notice it like maybe you could hear it if you were doing 150mph. They can move the contact pattern to a different place so you wont here the noise at normal speeds but its always goin to be there, every car is like this.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spudz

Gears made with different alloys make different noises. I go through this all the time with customers. Basicly the whine you here is always goin to be there. All you can do about it is set it up different. Basicly your moving the whine somewhere else where you wont notice it like maybe you could hear it if you were doing 150mph. They can move the contact pattern to a different place so you wont here the noise at normal speeds but its always goin to be there, every car is like this.
Thanks for the reply, Spudz. I like that explanation the best so far. But I think I'm going to bring it in this week, and have them set the gears up again. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Make sure they dont charge you, cause theoretically there is nothing wrong, if spudz is right, so watch out.