5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Carb issues...

When you agjusted the idle jets did you go back and adjust the mechanical speed setting? Going back and forth to get the highest speed then turn the screws out 1/8th turn to get it a little extra fuel? If it's an auto it should be in gear with someone you trust on the brakes. Also, does this carb have power valves?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: meiguoren33

When you agjusted the idle jets did you go back and adjust the mechanical speed setting? Going back and forth to get the highest speed then turn the screws out 1/8th turn to get it a little extra fuel? If it's an auto it should be in gear with someone you trust on the brakes. Also, does this carb have power valves?
The idle air mixture screws seem to have no effect on the idle. Yes, power valves front and rear.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Try the stop screw backing it out until it runs slower, then hit the idle mix screws probably in for a higher idle. Something about a transition slot. Were the power valves set for the same vacuum level of enrichment?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Try the stop screw backing it out until it runs slower, then hit the idle mix screws probably in for a higher idle. Something about a transition slot. Were the power valves set for the same vacuum level of enrichment?

I'm going to go out right now and look at all of the transition slots. The power valves are 6.5's it's my understanding you take half of the vacuum and thats what power valve you run.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

I think you need to close up the butterflies. Also, depending on your cam the power valves can provide enrichment at idle if you don't have alot of vacuum. You might want to lower the fuel level just to be sure nothing funky is happening at idle. You can always raise them if you run out at the top end.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I looked at the transition slot from above, I didn't take the carb off. It looks like the secondaries are closed, the primaries are just above closing off the slot. I tried adjusting both primary and secondary throttle plates so they are even but it was idleing at 2,000RPM. When you adjust the idle it closes more transition slot on the primary side.....
Old 04-17-2006, 11:05 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

What you want is to close the primary butterflies even more to expose less of the transition slots which should mean less air and you don't pick up fuel from the transition slots giving you a rich idle. Then adjust the idle air screws to set the mix and idle RPM. Jets or accel pump should have nothing to do with idle. But I would lower the level in the bowls slightly just to sort out the idle issue first.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

What you want is to close the primary butterflies even more to expose less of the transition slots which should mean less air and you don't pick up fuel from the transition slots giving you a rich idle. Then adjust the idle air screws to set the mix and idle RPM. Jets or accel pump should have nothing to do with idle. But I would lower the level in the bowls slightly just to sort out the idle issue first.
But when you adjust the idle speed screw, it changes the position of the throttle blade in relationship to the transition slot. Thus far the idle air mix screws do nothing.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Changes it and limits air flow. Closing it won't hurt anything. I think what's happening is your slots are getting airflow and picking up the mix from the transition circuit. What you need to do is close it further so the idle mix screws are the only thing coming into play. By the sounds of 2,000 RPM idle you are not there yet. Really without being there I can only quess. I went to the book, it confirmed mix screws making no difference equates into the throttle plate is open too much exposing the transition slot.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Changes it and limits air flow. Closing it won't hurt anything. I think what's happening is your slots are getting airflow and picking up the mix from the transition circuit. What you need to do is close it further so the idle mix screws are the only thing coming into play. By the sounds of 2,000 RPM idle you are not there yet. Really without being there I can only quess. I went to the book, it confirmed mix screws making no difference equates into the throttle plate is open too much exposing the transition slot.
So your saying to back the idle down, so the transition slot is less exposed. Then adjust idle speed with the air mix screws? I'll tinker with it more tonight and report back. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Carb issues...