5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:25 AM
ricepwner77

Default Transmission help

Hey im in the market for a new tranny and ive been lookin at the g-force t5. I noticed though that the input shaft are upgraded to a 26 spline which means im gonna need a new clutch. Ive been lookin at clutches and i cant find one thats a 10.5in and 26 spline, my car is a 91. Would I be able to fit an 11in or it just wont work? Anyone who has a g-force I would really appreciate any info, also along with a clutch should I get a flywheel ive been lookin at centerforce or ram but havent decided yet.

Thanks in advanced for any help
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: Transmission help

i've helped a buddy of mine switch to a g-force and i remember him saying they offered and recommended the McLeod (i think he got the stage II). g-force pretty much always recommends you get a McLeod clutch for any applications. i hope you don't plan on making over 350rwhp in the near future though (or making over that right now). i think g-force rate their trannies at 350rwhp (if i remember correctly), everybody pretty much assumes you can go a little bit overboard on the ratings (within reason of course) ...but no, in this case you really can't, he made just a tad under 400rwhp at the time and broke 3rd gear 2 weeks after the swap. sent the parts back, got the new ones, re-installed everything and bam! broke it again within 3 days... i'd recommend you save up for a TKO instead, seriously, unless you only plan on doing under 350rwhp, because it probably won't handle anything over that.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:10 AM
jknowles249

When you take out your flywheel if the surface looks cracked or grooved youll need to atleast have it resurface or if you want to invest about 400$ you can get a nice lightweigt alum flywheel which will make your engine wind up faster. Dont know much about RAM cluches but my centerforce 3 is pretty tight.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:27 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

hmmm interesting, i just went to the g-force website and this is what it says about the upgraded T-5:

"Although we do not like to put torque or horsepower ratings on our products due to the vast differences in clutch, engine, chassis, tire, and mounting combinations, we can give a very rough estimate. There are simply too many variables to consider when trying to figure out how much power or torque a transmission will take in a particular application. Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade. Obviously this is just a rough estimate regarding the power and torque handling capability, but it should give some idea as to what the G-Force T-5 kit will handle in your particular application. Our T-5 kits are currently available with the preferred 2.94, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00 ratios in gears 1 thru 4"

all that was upgraded on my friend's tranny was gear 1 and 2, once it blew he ordered the 3rd gear upgrade and still blew it, but he never upgraded 1 through 4 OR ugraded the mainshaft. seems i might of under estimated their complete tranny rebuild with all available upgrade options. i do remember him talking to them on the phone and rating the upgrade he chose at 350hp, but they seem to rate the whole big package at 600hp, if you're planing on that particular set-up it might actually be worth it.... in fact, i know he's selling his g-force for pretty cheap, now that i know i could get better upgrades for it, i might actually consider getting it and sending it off to them to do install on the upgrades.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

^^I was fixin to say, I've heard they are great tranny's!! Maybe he just didn't get the whole shebang?

I think 5speeds.com sells them. If not, just google it and you'll find prices.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

why not just get a tremec?