MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Tranny swap questions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/118037-tranny-swap-questions.html)

91lxstang 04-19-2006 12:46 AM

Tranny swap questions

over the summer i plan on making abou $3000 and from now till summer starts i plan on makin about $700.... so thats $3700 saved up for just my car... i really want to do a tfs1 cam, trickflow track heat intake, afr 165 smog legal heads for the motor along with 24 injectors and other small things..... then i will have spent about 2100 or so.... that means i have 1600 left...... if i can i would like to swap in a manual for my junky aod.....i dont know if i should go 5 or 6 speed..... im guessing a new tranny is gonna be about 1200 and a good clutch will be about 300 .... that leaves me with 200 .... i can save up alittle more when school starts but it will just take a month or so..... i will get a shifter with that extra money and i figure i will have about 500 more to spend on pedals, adjustable clutch quad..... and backup light harness... and bellhousing and tranny mount..... what should i go with and do you guys recommend any companies that sell trannies or anything

impure 04-19-2006 12:54 AM

RE: Tranny swap questions

dude that switch is going to be a pain in the ass. i would not juggest it. just swap your aod with performance automatics street trans. add a trans brake and a manual valve body and maybe a nice torque converter and you will have a damn good trans that will be like a manual without the clutch pedal plus it will last forever

91lxstang 04-19-2006 12:57 AM

i know about what the auto could be cause my dad has a prostreet nova with a built turbo 400 and its fun and all but i want a manual and im very willing to put countless hours and alot of money into it cause its what i want..... i know it wont be hard but im pulling the motor anyways to have the car painted n a month or so so its the right time to do it

rmodel65 04-19-2006 12:57 AM

i didnt need a backup light harness my t-5 plugged right in the the aod harness after i removed the ext from it!

91lxstang 04-19-2006 12:59 AM

thats good cause thats less money i have to spend

impure 04-19-2006 01:06 AM

ok well i say you do it if you set your mind to it. i would say to go with a six speed if you can find one. but you should go for the quality of the gears and trans not the quantity of the gears you know. so if you have a crap 6 speed and a nice five go with the five. but if you find a good six then thats better. what kind of horsepower are you expecting to push through the trans?

95gtpa 04-19-2006 01:52 AM

buy a tremec.......lol

1stStang 04-19-2006 05:36 AM

I just completed a AODE to T-5 swap on my 95 Mustang. It is so simple that it is almost too easy. For parts and everything that you will need: www.prestigemustang.com they have everything that you need at a good price.

90lxrider 04-19-2006 04:24 PM

+1 prestige is the place to go.....i actually bought my 90lx from todd the owner of Prestige......awesome guy, he really no's his ****

89gtsleeper 04-19-2006 05:52 PM

definitely go with the 5 speed tremec. You could do the 3550 or the TKO... just depends on what you can get ahold of. I personally bought a used TKO with bellhousing and steeda tri-ax shifter for 1000 bucks. It was only run for about 1000 miles and two runs down the strip before I got it. On these trannys there are 3 shifter locations, and three flat panels on the top. 4 bolts for each. You can take those off quickly, and see the gears inside to make sure everything looks good. My transmission honestly was not even completely broken in when I got it, and drives better everyday. I spent 1000 for everything, and he even threw in a FMS aluminum driveshaft. I added on a centerforce throw-out bearing, and a centerforce dual-friction clutch, and it's the best feeling trans I've ever driven. It cost me about 1450 in all with driveshaft, and I know it will last for a very long time. There are guys putting these things through track time and 10 second passes, even 9 second passes, and they hold up well.

The 3550 is the same trans, but not as many splines on the input/output shafts. Just an FYI though.