5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! CENTER CONSOLE ISSUE. BUTTON NOT WORKING CORRECTLY.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP! CENTER CONSOLE ISSUE. BUTTON NOT WORKING CORRECTLY.

My car is an 89 Mustang GT Convt. I was taking apart my center console armrest compartment last night to give it a good cleaning before I paint it. I had the lid open, and was removing the latch area in the bottom. I removed the first screw and the little metal “U” shaped wire popped out from under the little cover. Well, when trying to reinstall the little “U” I can’t get it in correctly, I Guess that is the issue. I will get it all back together, at least what looks correct to me and as soon as I push the latch button in about 3 or 4 times you can hear the “U” move and it then pops out of its original location now not creating the latch button to move in and out with the spring action. It seemed to me there was only one way to put the “U” under the cover and resting on the backside of the button. But is it just resting freely, or should it be hooked onto something?

HOW IS THE LITTLE “U” SUPPOSED TO BE ATTACHED AND INSTALLED IN THAT PART? Why isn’t it staying still, or in place once it is back together and the latch button is pushed in a few times? Any help, pictures of the correct way to install it would be great. Thanks guys please let me know ASAP.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! CENTER CONSOLE ISSUE. BUTTON NOT WORKING CORRECTLY.

I just went through that with mine. The spring is bent on the ends and is sliding out of either the lid or u hole. I used some duct tape to hold it in place. I wish I could take a picture for you. Your going to have to take the center console off completely and mess with until it stays.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! CENTER CONSOLE ISSUE. BUTTON NOT WORKING CORRECTLY.

I understand what you are saying, but the ends dont connect to anything do they? Doesnt the "U" spring just sit under there with the closes side againts the button, the 2 ends touching the edge of the cover? It doenst connect does it? Doesnt it just rest in there? Where did you duct tape? HOw? Please let me know and thanks for the reply.