5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brake stands are harder than I though

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake stands are harder than I though

I just got temporary plates, Havn't drove my 89 lx 5.0 in 4.5 months and only down the street then and it sat a few months before that. so I pritty much got 6 months of beat whipping out of me in a few hours. I tried my first couple breakstands. Does anyone agree the cluch and break are two close together? I didn't get the car to intirely stop the first one and the second my tack jumped to 7 GRAND. I figured it's no big deal right? Another thing that is odd is my car loves to whip turning left but not right though except what it looked like from one small burn all my big burns were possie. Makes me wonder.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Brake stands are harder than I though

Not the smartest thing to try and spinn while turning. do it in a stright line lol. yes the pedals are close but u get used to it really fast. 7k is not easy on a stock motor. How did u start the brake stand? i always crank it up about 3k drop the clutch smash it to the floor while getting your other foot to the brake. then hold the rpms about 4500. if your good shift to 2nd and hold the brake, and it will really smoke.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

is that how you warm up the tires before running at the track?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

no not in second just first gear. but yep thats all you do. if you have dr's you might want to drop the clutch at 3500-4500 maybe more.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

okay so help me understand this. I have some nitto dr. I rev up to about 4 grand, drop the clutch and then put my foot on the brake?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:40 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

I only tried to do two brake stands going strait. I was just reffering to fishtalling when turning. It goes out really easy turning left but won't whip at all when turning right in first gear. I would think this would be this way if It was only lighting up one tire but it clearly lights up both when I do strait burns..... I rolled back a little then hit it then as you said I put my left foot on the break. If you hit the break to hard will the car bogg down? maby I am to concerned on hitting the break to hard. Yeah I defentally didn't like hitting seven grand. damit
Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

I also got my tires at 40 psi. Max is 51 uni royal raited for 150 mph.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I powerbrake (brake stand) my car by using my right foot and turning it sideways.. I place my right heal on the break and use my right toes to push down on the gas.. I rev it up to about 4k or so and use my left foot to dump the cluch.. 'IF' I am feeling power hungry I will keep my right foot on the brake and gas and used my left foot to work the cluch again and yank it into 2nd gear.. If I just want a 1st gear smoker I will slide my right heal off the brake and put my left foot on it while still keeping my right foot on the gas.. Then I can work the gas a little better and also have good control of the brake if I want to start to let up and start a roll.. By using my right foot for both the gas and the brake it starts the burn out with out the car rolling forward at all..

Hope it helps.. [sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Yeah thanks. I might give that meathod a try. I have done a bunch of a Five speed cheerokee breakstands by pushing the clutch in with my left heel and holding the break with my left toe's. Just the opposite what you said but the clutch and break are two close together to do that on the stang but purhaps your way will work. I'm out to smoke some more rubber going go to an vacant parken lot and pratice haha. It's to much fun. Except when I jumped to 7 thousand...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

how hard do you push on the break?

Quick Reply: Brake stands are harder than I though