5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Emissions, Yuk!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:56 AM
mustang86cars
2nd Gear Member

Default Emissions, Yuk!!!!

My 86 GT is about that age that I'm not worried about emissions. My state doesnt require smog/emissions check.

I want to clean up my motor so I decided that I want to start with removing whays not needed, emissions!

Where do I start?? Smog pump, cats, OK, What about EGR?? Not sure how far to go and what adverse effects will this have on the performance. I dont want to cause problems.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
mustang86cars
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Emissions, Yuk!!!!

Hey Folks, I can use some input.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:26 AM
acidman2

first the air pump has to go, along with all the piping connected to it. then the cats can go, replace with off road H pipe, 2 1/2 inch is good. the egr valve has nothing to do with emissions. it helps the car to warm up faster in cold weather. some people plug the vacuum line going to this valve to make it inoperable. this helps performance by eliminating the warm air around the intake. this should get you started and keep you busy for most of the day..
Old 03-21-2004, 02:26 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

bypassing the egr doesnt make the car run any faster, in fact i was told it doesnt help anything by my mechanic
Old 03-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Milky
4th Gear Member

It doesn't... all it does is take exhaust and put it to your intake for combustion... no big deal
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
acidman2

duh... exhaust in your intake,,, isn't that where you want FRESH air to go??? what are Cold Air Intake systems for?? cold FRESH air equals performance..
Old 03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

right on acidman![sm=smiley32.gif] mustang30240 and milky are confused again. the only reason the automakers added EGR systems was to help reduce NOX emissions! by diluting the fresh intake charge with some already burnt exhaust gas they lower the combustion temperatures which generate NOX, then they stick cat crackers in the exhaust to burn up the fuel that didn't burn the first time because they lowered the compression and recirculated exhaust gases back into the intake. how's that for illogical thinking, but that's what they came up with to deal with the damn emissions laws. they could have handled the unburned hydrocarbons and CO by raising compression and running higher combustion temps which would not have hurt the performance, in fact it would help it. but because they also have to control NOX, what they could do for the other two makes more NOX, so they kill performance and mileage by lowering compression and sticking cat crackers in the exhaust pipes to burn the high price gas we pay for in the tailpipes instead of the cylinders. damn I just love those tree huggers![:@]
mustang86 if you want to get the maximum benefits, remove the EGR valve and pop off the top half of the intake and plug the round hole in the middle where the exhause gas runs through the intake to get to the EGR valve. I did this on mine with some marine epoxy compound and steel wool. this will make the intake run cooler which helps performance. You also have to plug the opening in the EGR spacer plate with the same epoxy and a metal plate cut to fit the same opening as the base of the valve. this will allow easier access to the fuel pressure regulator. after this, you can disconnect the small cooling hoses going through the spacer and splice them together to keep the heat out of the spacer too. lose the air pump and cat crackers too. I kept the small air piping, just did a 180 degree connection where the lines from the heads goes to the pipe going down to the H-pipe. the suction in the exhaust will keep this air moving through the heads and out the tailpipe. don't forget to plug the vacuum line for the EGR valve when you remove it!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:34 PM
mustang86cars
2nd Gear Member

WOW, Thanks for the input!!! This really clear things up for me.

This all started when I added a new catback system and I noticed a rusted thru air pipe off the h-pipe. At the time I couldnt get the information, which I was looking for, to really tell me that the removal of these emission componants wouldnt cause other problems. So I ended up replaceing the air pipe along with a failed check value and put it all together as it was stock. I wish I had this info befor I spent the $60 for the parts and not to mention my time!!!!

Well, looks like I will remove this smog system when the new X-pipe goes in!!!!![8D] Just waiting to save a few more pennies after the new stereo goes in this spring!!.

Thanks all who responded!! Not to mention "roundmanracing" for the details
Old 03-22-2004, 10:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

thanks! amazing what one can learn from reading Hot Rod and Car Craft and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and 5.0 Fords, etc, etc, etc. been reading Hot Rod since the early 70's, and MM&FF since early 80's. in this age of instant information, too many people don't take the time to read and it's sad!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:43 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Well until I got to your novel I was gonna say mine is just about all disconnected and it runs fine. Also with the EGR disconnected your engine will run a little cleaner. Better in the long run.

Quick Reply: Emissions, Yuk!!!!