5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb Conversion: What Edelbrock Intake to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

Default RE: Carb Conversion: What Edelbrock Intake to buy?

ORIGINAL: deadcarnahans

Holleys are are junk. They leak fuel and are a bear to tune. Stick with EDL for street use.
thats a pretty bold statement. i have a holley, and when i got it the instructions said that i would probably have to teflon tape everything necessary. it didnt say that i deffinately needed it, so i didnt put it on, cuz i didnt have any. well, it leaked, sure as ****. after tefloning it properly tho, it worked great. edels are easier to tune on the fly, but all you have to do is buy a book that deals with your carb and it will tell you everything you need to know about how to tune it. for the intake, i would also recommend the weiand stealth.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:26 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Edelbrock carbs are really Carter AFB's which first came out 9/56. Thats about 9 years before any GM quadra-jets were made.
Holley/AFB thing never seems to go away. If you tune the AFB right an engine will make the power as it would with a Holley assuming they were both the same size.....
IMHO, Holleys are a little easier to work with as the parts are easy to find.......
Old 04-30-2006, 10:54 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

so is Edelbrock 2121 the right part number or not? Its so hard getting a straight forward answer here...

-- OJM
Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

yes, that manifold will work just fine.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

Will the Air Gap cause me to have to use an aftermarket hood? i want to stay under my stock hood if at all possible.

-- OJM
Use the 2121 that you successfully researched own your own.
This is the only real choice for stock heads and no concern for power over 5500 RPM. The other experts are recommending manifolds that have larger port dimensions which mismatch with the stock heads, impairing flow and torque. Drivability will suffer, especially with an automatic. If you don't believe me, e-mail an Edelbrock tech.

As far as my bold opinion of Holleys goes, I stand by it. All the teflon tape in the world would not help me. Mine did not leak at the fittings. They dribbled from the secondary shaft, and the O-rings on the transfer tube leaked too. Also mysterious casting defects cause uncurable leaks.
Fuel leaks are not an option for my vehicles!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Use the 2121 that you successfully researched own your own.
This is the only real choice for stock heads and no concern for power over 5500 RPM. The other experts are recommending manifolds that have larger port dimensions which mismatch with the stock heads, impairing flow and torque. Drivability will suffer, especially with an automatic. If you don't believe me, e-mail an Edelbrock tech.

I don't believe you and I'm not calling Edelbrock tech evah again. Proof you are wrong about the port size....

http://www.holley.com/8020.asp
Stealth ports size: 1.83†height 1.02" width

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...-air-gap.shtml
RPM air gap Port exit dimensions: 1.04" x 1.85".

If we are splitting hairs, the Stealth has SMALLER port size.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

newb wont back down and accept defeat. Ive had both the holley 600 vac sec and edelbrock 600 vac secondaries and had them tuned by the same guy and the holley is the better carb and Ive had plenty of holley carbs and ive yet to have one leak, then again everytime i get one i put a rebuild kit into them while i have the carb off because it saves alot of hastles with leaks unless its a brand new carb then I dont mess with it.