5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Engine, Both seals leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Default New Engine, Both seals leak

Just got done building the new engine for my 94GT, it seems that anytime the car is running i notice that the front and rear main seals start to drip, i will get about 1-2 drops coming down after a few mins of running. Also when i turn the car off i hear this weird DONG noise coming from the oil pan, it sorta sounds like sheetmetal flexing. The reason i write this is because some tell me its a PCV valve not venting the crankcase and pressure is building up and maybe even the oil pan is getting pushed out (hence the noise), The PCV looks fine to me, i just put it back in with the screen under it like stock. THe only thing i am concerned about is the valve cover had a oil filler cap with a vacume line going to it, my new valve covers are tall to clear the roller rockers, and i had to do away with the vacume line on the valve covers oil filler because of the new cap. Could me removing the vacume line coming from the valve cover cause the crankcase to pressurize and the car leak oil from the seals, or maybe its cause the motor has less then 1 mile on it?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 05:35 PM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New Engine, Both seals leak

Hmm, with a new motor, it is going to have a lot of blowby while rings seat. You'll need every bit of crank ventilation. That line you removed, IIRC, pulls vac on the valve cover to help evacuate it. Did the new valve covers not come with a breather to hook up to the intake? If so, you may want to try to do something with them. I don't see how you could get away with no breather.
Perhaps try cracking the oil filler cap (with a rag loosely around the opening) to see if you feel a lot of air blowing out. Try running the same test with the filler cap cracked open and see if it still leaks/"dongs".
Old 04-22-2006, 05:49 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

^^+1
Old 04-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

thanks, the valve covers came with nothing because they were for older non efi engines, i needed the tall ones to clear my roller rockers, the stock 94ones were about .5" to short. I did not use the cap with a breather because i cut the hole and found out that where the impression was underneath the valve cover to cut the hole, interfered with my TB, and my TB rests so close to the hole that i had to use just a small cap with a rubber grommet. So now i just have the DS valve cover with nothing on it, like before, and the PS valve cover with just the cap, the PS used to have that vacume line hooked up to the fuller neck, so now there is no neck and no place to put the vacume line. Not sure if it would be worth gutting the PCV valve and hooking up a catch can. But when it runs the seals do drip oil and it dongs after about 4secs from when i turn it off.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Put the breather on the driver side. Did you try and run it with the cap loose?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

when u had the pcv valve out did it rattle?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

yes
Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

not yet, i am not near the car. Its at the performance shop going for dyno tuning and HP/TQ pulls
Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

humm
Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

when i get the car back i will try to leave the cap loose. I didnt think that the vacume line coming from the filler was gonna make it presurized that much tough. If i switch it to the other side do you think i should just put a breather or should i run a vacume line to it.

Quick Reply: New Engine, Both seals leak