5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mystery oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default Mystery oil leak

Well I have a mystery oil leak. No clue exactly where it's comming from. My car is old school it has a mechanical fuel pump. You EFI guys probably never heard of such a thing LOL. Anyway, the fuel pump is on the drivers side of the timing cover. The oil is dripping/spraying/flowing/whatever onto the top of the fuel pump. What makes it bad is the electric fan blows the oil all over under the hood. So everything on the drivers side has a oil film on it. Making it hard to locate the actual source. I changed the fuel pump gasket thinking that it was leaking. Still have oil all over. I reconfigured the oil pressure gauge line thinking it might be the source. Still have oil all over. Today I changed the valve cover gaskets...hoping for no leaks. I don't know what the heck else it could be? Maybe the timing cover has a crack in it? Ideas?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mystery oil leak

I'd check the timing cover and gasket. Is there any oil sitting in the valley ontop of your water pump just below the dizzy (front intake gasket is what im thinking about). Other than that, unless the front of your oil pan is leaking and when you drive the air pushes the oil up and into the path of your electric fan which tornados it across your engine bay i dunno. Should be about all the gasket that could be your problem with the one's you've changed already. Good luck man!

Edit: Check the torque on the oil pan and make sure the bolts are tight, as well as the other bolts around your problem area that could have worked loose.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

There is no oil above about half way up the timing cover. All the oil pan bolts are tight, no leaks there. I even checked all the timing cover bolts..tight, no leaks.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Damn thats kinda odd, There shouldnt be any huge leaks around there.

I mean the oil pump sender is on otehr side and theres no pressure lines around there.

Only thing I could think of is valve covers, or oil pan. And I cant see how the oil pan can shoot up on the fuel pump.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:16 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

could the line going into your oil press. sending unit be loose?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: marx91

could the line going into your oil press. sending unit be loose?
Thats what I thought too. See it has the tube like for a OEM sender unit, then the AutoMeter fittings, then the line. Well I took the aluminum tube part out to eliminate one "junction" and just screwed the AutoMeter fittings into the block. The oil doesn't seem to be coming from there though. It's fugged up I'm tellin ya. The freeze plug on the front of the head has oil in even. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow if it's still leaking.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Are you sure it is motor oil and not power steering fliud?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

Are you sure it is motor oil and not power steering fliud?
Yep, I don't have power steering.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:00 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok you know the f/p can leak oil right? Have you ruled that out?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Ok you know the f/p can leak oil right? Have you ruled that out?
I was thinking about that today when I was changing the oil and looking for the leak. The bottom of the pump has drips on it. I wasn't sure if it could leak oil or not. I will get another and see what happens. Thanks for confirming, you the man!

Quick Reply: Mystery oil leak