5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Battery????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
SpL!T
1st Gear Member

Default Battery????

My 93 fox is draining the battery in just 2 days of no drive.I just leave it in my house and use the other car and today i go to start it and the battery is dead.Last month it killed an Optima red top and this month it killed another one and the alternator is new, 4 months and its puts out 13.8+.What the hell is going on with this fox???Help please[:@]
Old 04-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Fox
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Battery????

I know you said you have 13.8v charging voltage, but make sure you are checking it from ground of the chassis somewhere and the + lead on the battery post and not the battery cable. If this checks good, then this proves that the alt. is good and also the gnd. is good to the battery. The only thing I can think of is something drawing current, for example trunk lid light, underhood light etc.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

your vehicle needs two things... it needs a parasitic draw test and a battery/charging test... both of which are available at your local dealer. The parasitic draw test is a test to check how much amperage is being drawn from your battery when the key is out and the battery charging test is an actual test to verify proper cold cranking amps and generator voltage AND amperage.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:38 AM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Well if you battery is still fine after that, being drained that is. Get it recharged, I know you can get your batter replaced under warranty if it check out bad after that. The next thing I would do is make sure that all the leads to the starter solenoid is bolted on good, was my last problem. (if battery has juice, with recharge even) Put the positive wire on the pole and not the negative (leave it alone). Now ground the vm to the negative and touch the chassis with the other lead, if you get a reading you have an open circuit somewhere. If you do, try pulling fuse 8. Before I pulled fuse 8, I would kill a whole red top overnight, ever since not a problem pertaining to that. I never fixed whatever it was passed fuse 8, which includes radio, inner lights, power mirrors, and a chime of some type. Becuase it is draining that quick, the first thing I would do is check for that open circuit by using that vm that way. Good luck man, I have had to electrical problems, and that is how I fixed mine, the tightening of the start solenoid should only help it charge by the alternato, should make it drain.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

do u have lights in ur sun vizors? mine did not go off so i unpluged them. check that.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:42 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Also make sure you got good grounds. Without grounds, you have nothing. I figured this out the hard way...lol I ended up rewiring almost the entire underhood area of my car. I had trouble drainging a battery and it turned out to be bad headlight grounds and a bad engine ground.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

without grounds u can/will short the computer out been there done that.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:50 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

dude you know yer sheit. i wish you lived near me.
ORIGINAL: Krusher

your vehicle needs two things... it needs a parasitic draw test and a battery/charging test... both of which are available at your local dealer. The parasitic draw test is a test to check how much amperage is being drawn from your battery when the key is out and the battery charging test is an actual test to verify proper cold cranking amps and generator voltage AND amperage.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

he is a tech he has been in school for so long when they get a ct scan of his head his brain has ford stamped in it.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

dude you know yer sheit. i wish you lived near me.
ORIGINAL: Krusher

I used to be down in virginia... freedom ford ring a bell?

he is a tech he has been in school for so long when they get a ct scan of his head his brain has ford stamped in it.
ummm... thanks

Quick Reply: Battery????