5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT to LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

Default GT to LX

i'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I need a new front clip and am thinking about getting an lx front, take off the sides, and get a cobra rear. I like the GT but I love the way an LX looks with a mean stance on cobras and with a cobra grille.
Whats the weight diff for GT vs. LX? I've already taken the fog light bracket which is a bulk of the GT's weight but I think the front and sides will be around 25-30#'s, which is an added bonus to the look I want.

flame me if you will but what do you think? I'm gonna keep the GT wing and am looking for some cobra/early gt tails.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: GT to LX

when you remove side moldings you will have to get LX side moldings also.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:08 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Man if you are looking to shed pounds, the wing is pretty darn heavy, when I switch from my gt to nothing to the cobra wing. WOW! GT is heavy no wing is a trip, hatch almost lifts itself by a tap. I almost thought about seeing what no wing looks like, I drove around for like 5miles when I had to go to the hardware store. I would say rock it without the wing or a wing at all. Thot it looked pretty sweet, don't forget to change the chz gr8ers if you are making it an LX.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

could you please post a bigger pic of your car? I see it in the little pic but i want to see a big one

Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

ya otherwise u will see the rivets

Old 04-23-2006, 10:14 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

i think no wing looks hideous IMO. The LX has moldings? I thought is that near the wheel wells? I thought by taking the rocker panels and the scoops infront of all tires it is like the LX, where all you see is the natural fenders and the pinch weld below.
[img]my stang.jpg[/img]
Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

what the rivets where the GT moldings go? I've never seen any cars with the skirts taken off and the rivets showing, but it sounds to easy, can you buy the LX mouldings on 5.0 resto or any other site? just toying with the idea, I need to get a new front clip and skirts anyways along with some well needed paint but i'm just contemplating the idea of an LX swap right now.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

DUDE ITS LIKE 100LB DIFF BETWEEN LX AND GT
Old 04-23-2006, 10:30 PM
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

dont get me wrong, i like a clean GT but like a clean lx just as well, i dont think the weight is near that much, the fog light bracket is really heavy, but I think the total is nearer 50-60#'s with the bracket.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

ya lol i have an lx and when i took my wing off to do some body work, the hatch would lift itself.. th funny thing is that it never even stayed up before when i had the wing on let along pull itself up!, id have to hold it with my head....
ORIGINAL: gr84u

Man if you are looking to shed pounds, the wing is pretty darn heavy, when I switch from my gt to nothing to the cobra wing. WOW! GT is heavy no wing is a trip, hatch almost lifts itself by a tap. I almost thought about seeing what no wing looks like, I drove around for like 5miles when I had to go to the hardware store. I would say rock it without the wing or a wing at all. Thot it looked pretty sweet, don't forget to change the chz gr8ers if you are making it an LX.