5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI to Carb conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: EFI to Carb conversion?

Hey my Girl friend is from Rock Hill, we live in Greenville though. I got my tattoo's done in Charlotte. Lol....<---dont ask where that came from.

But a carb cnversion is straight forward as it can be. Use about a 600-650 Demon carb, And a Holley Blue pump and....well you read fletch's stuff. But like i said, the hardest part is getting the FP linked with a relay. Go with a mechanical pump if you have a place on the block to put one.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

Cool.. whats her name? I might know her.
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Hey my Girl friend is from Rock Hill, we live in Greenville though. I got my tattoo's done in Charlotte. Lol....<---dont ask where that came from.

But a carb cnversion is straight forward as it can be. Use about a 600-650 Demon carb, And a Holley Blue pump and....well you read fletch's stuff. But like i said, the hardest part is getting the FP linked with a relay. Go with a mechanical pump if you have a place on the block to put one.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Brittney Carr. She moved out of there back in 98 i think....cant rememebr. She was only like 10 though when she moved.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

Nope dont know her. she is alot younger than me. Im 30
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Brittney Carr. She moved out of there back in 98 i think....cant rememebr. She was only like 10 though when she moved.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

88, what kinda HP you puttin out?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oh, lol.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

most places if the car is over 25 yeas old there are not emissions.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:45 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Hey crump, wasnt hard at all man. I bought a HEI dizzy from ebay for $90 shipped or so, and had to remove the A/C for the vacuum advance to be timed right. You could go with a duraspark, and might not have that problem. You may also run into hood clearance problems, and have to run a cheezy small air cleaner for the stock hood to work (at least with the edelbrock RPM intake anyway). Wiring the relay for the fuel pump isn't too bad if you got a chiltons manual. Those were the hardest things to do. I did break a bolt in the intake, and took some time soaking it wiht PB Blaster, but got it all done in about 4 hours working time (probably woulda been less, had there been less beer and people at my house telling me im crazy)

Horsepower: haven't dyno'd it, but i read an article on a head swap on an old falcon with a stock 5.0 HO with 650 demon carb and it was pumpin around 265 hp. I got an edelbrock carb, so that's gonna cut that number down a bit, but my vert with 3.55's is almost as fast as my buddies old stock hatch with 3.73's underdrives/cai/maf/exhaust/edelbrock intake.

My problem: My suspension is beat up in the rear cuz my upper control arm ripped loose from the body. The mount is still fine and attached to the car, but the bolt from the UCA bolt ripped through the ears on the mount and is now just hangin out. ALSO, my car is 5-0, but someone replace the motor in it with a non-HO motor (i have different firing order), but it's still a roller engine. Im not sure what the motor came out of, but it is a roller engine, just don't have the HO cam. Haven't checked numbers on heads, so it may not have the ho heads either, but since the carb/intake, my car runs like a nice bolt-on happy GT now. Soon as i can afford some ski masks to rob a bank, ima get some twisted wedge heads and a stage 1 TFS cam in a shiny new 306.

Sorry bout the long post, but where bouts in rock vegas you from? Im on eden terrace on the fort mill side. Dont drive the car too much now a days, but i got my car at the little mexican resturaunt down towards winthrop about 3-4 years ago all riced out with a white top.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

Dude were neighbors, I live right off of dave lyle blvd. You need to come check my motor out when we Dyno it. I am getting the guy from Ganassi Racing to do it his name is Ben Coward. Hell of a dyno man, really knows his stuff. Says with what I have it should make 400 HP easy wich would be great cause im spraying it with a 250 shot on top of that. it should be a hell of a show, gonna turn it about 8000 rpm. hope my rod bolts are tight. LOL...... heres what im running; all scat inturnals, big *** rods, big *** crank, big *** pistons, .595/.608 Comp custom grind cam, 1.72 rollar rockers, pro comp alum. heads fully ported and polished, 2.08/1.60 valves, victor jr intake, and to top it off a holly dominator 850. what do ya think? it'll go or blow
Old 04-25-2006, 02:31 AM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

i say it'll go till u blast it with the 250 shot. You may get a few passes in, but thats a bunch-o-pony's in a stock block, and pushing anything to 8 grand is tough on the guts no matter what they are, especially in a 2 bolt. Good luck man!! Whatchoo think of those pro comp heads? seen em on ebay kinda cheap.

I say carb it unless you got a bunch of cash around for supporting EFI goodies like intake/injectors/comp chip/all that other electric stuff. We'll have to meet up and i can show you all the shiz you get to pull out and stuff. Cost me about 650 for all the parts brand new to do it with.

Quick Reply: EFI to Carb conversion?