5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! STOCK T5 SHIFTER ? FLUID RESEVOIR AND SHORT THROW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:36 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP! STOCK T5 SHIFTER ? FLUID RESEVOIR AND SHORT THROW?

Hi,
I was told by a mustang addict mechanic that I could use some metal washers to replace some rubber spacers somewhere on the stock shift to create a shorter throw on my stock shifter? Is this true? Where exactly are these rubber spacers or washers?

Secondly,
I too the stock shfter out and in the resevoir there wasnt but a tiny bit of fluid at the bottom. The car was cold, and hadnt been driver for a few days. How much fluid should be in the resevoir where the bottom of the stock shifter rests? Should there be more fluid in there than just a little in the bottom? If so, I dont know what kind of fluid is currently in there. WHat kind do you recommend I add? Can I just pour it in the top of the resevoir underneath the shifter? If these questions are crazy, I am sorry. I am a rookie and trying to learn. Please let me know asap. Thanks, Landon.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! STOCK T5 SHIFTER ? FLUID RESEVOIR AND SHORT THROW?

You can fill the trans up through the shifter area but you need to leave the top bolt out otherwise you can over fill it. There's two bolts on the side of the trans. One's for draining, and the other's for filling.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

that little spacer trick doesnt sound like it would work.

to create a short throw with your stock handle you need to take it off, cut a section out, and weld the piece that the shifter handle threads on to the piece that bolts to the rest of the shifter.

thats how we did it with my buddy's, i've never heard of the other way.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

So how much fluid should be resting in the shifter resevoir?

Secondly,
I am not sure exactly what the mechanic was talking about when he said I could use metal washers in place of the rubber spacers. He is a mechanic at a local shop. He has an 88gt that is probably the fastest I know of he. His knowledge of the fox body mustangs is higher than anyone I have ever personally met. I will have to ask him again what he told me to do.

He said that there are 2 rubber spacers that can be replaced with washers. He said the rubber spacers have play in them and mash back and forth. He said the metal washers would create a tighter shorter throw!

I will have to talk to him and see if he will do it for me and I will let you know if it works. Thanks.