HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY! - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Reload this Page >

HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY!

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY!

Old 04-26-2006, 01:37 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY!

Hi,
I purchased a 1989 Mustang Gt convertible 5 speed about 2 months ago. When I purchased it the owner was clueless. The car had 0 engine temperature. That was only 1 of 100 things wrong with the car. I drove it home and took it to the shop. I had a new thermostat, belts, radiator hoses, rear brakes adjusted, timing set properly, and some other thing done. At that time the mechanic said the fan clutch was locked in the on position. So I purchased a used fan clutch for $5 off ebay. While waiting for the fan clutch, the car stopped running one day. No fire! I had it towed 1 block to the mechanic who did the previous work. It turns out it was the ignition module. The fan clutch came in and I had the mechanic put the fan clutch on as well as replace the ignition module since they had the car!

While driving home the car had a terrible vibration, only above 3k RPMS. I thought the engine was going to fall out. I am not a mechanic so I called the shop they said to bring it in. They said the used fan clutch was warped and that was the vipration.

I purchased a new fan clutch and put it on. It still does the same thing. It only vibrates, shakes at higher RPM's, 3k +. I dont know what it is, but it is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Is it something lose? It seems it may be fan related, but I do not know. Is it the clutch, the fan itself, timing, bolt lose on something? HELP ME PLEASE!

Secondly, I put on a K&N CAI. I dont remember what the car sounded like immediately after I put it on. But I dont remember it being loud. After the fan clutches, ignition module, and other work the car seems to be really loud. Like it is wrapping tighter than it is. 2k sounds like 5k. Is this the CAI, or is something else going on? Anyhelp would be appreciated. I dont want to take it to the shop, they already talked me into a new fan clutch, and that hasnt fixed the issue. Unless this one is bad also! I wouldnt think that is the issue on a brand new $65 fan clutch. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY!

Where do you feel the vibration? In the steering wheel, the seat, under load, when coasting.
Could be things like the harmonic balancer, drive shaft, motor mount, trans mount. The list could go on. Can you be a little more specific.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

damit not again[:'(]
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

LOL. It feels like the hole dam car is shaking apart. It is when under load, i guess. It is only when you are running high RPM's while on the throttle/accelerating. Not when coasting, or lower than 3K RPMS. It is only when RPMS are above 3k and while on the gas pedal. It seems to be more towards the front of the car. It feels like the dam engine, or something is going to fall out. But that is just the feeling. SOmething is shaking vibrating. It bothers me and I want it fixed. But I dont want to take it to the mechanic, especially with no idea to what the problem is. I may get gouged, and I already purchased a new fan clutch that didnt do anything for me except cost me $65. I dont think I have ever checked to see if it does it while the car isnt under load, but while on the throttle. I will run outside and check that now! Thanks and any help will be appreciated. Landon.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yes check the harmonic damper
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Check the harmonic balancer. May be coming apart.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I just went outside and it does vibrate while the car is in neutral/parked while revving the engine. It may not seem to be quite as bad, but it does do it. Again, only at higher RPM's. From my lack of knowledged brain, it does seem it may be fan related. But if the engine was cold, would the fan/clutch be the issue since it shouldnt be locked in? Or does it spin faster with acceleration and higher RPM's even if the egine temp is cold. GRR. I have put way to much money in this car so far. I have the entire interior ripped out for a black converstion. I wanted to focus on the entire/exterior and I have put all my extra money in getting the darn thing to run. I just wish I knew what it was and that would make me feel better knowing what the hell it is.

What exactly does the harmoncic balancer do? Where is it, how much are they. LOL. Preparing for the worst I guess. Any further help or guesses would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

take the belt off to elminate the fan. the harmonic balancer is on the crank behind the pullie. start the car and look at the crank if u see something wobbling thats the problem.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

What, where, how to fix this harmonic balancer. I have heard of this, but wouldnt knwo where it is, what it looks like, or what it does. Hang in there with me guys. The little I know about cars is from what I read on here. I am trying to learn each day. A photo, location, and what I am looking to fix would be great. I will go check it now if you can tell me what the heck to look for and do.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

i told ya look up bud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! WHAT IS THIS VIBRATION UNDER THE HOOD? CRAZY!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.