5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick Flow or Dart

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Travis

Default Trick Flow or Dart

I am planning on purchasing a pro bullet DSS 306 motor soon. Ya im just getting out of high school, and Im working my typical job so the motor isnt going to go right into my 1993 stang. I plan on building a whole brand new motor, not messing with anything used, just feel like going fresh, save most of my paycheack, and I'll eventually get there. Im running a 331 supercharged right now, motor is a beast. My friend offered me money for that motor, so I figured once i can get established, I'll sell it and build myself a fresh one thats even better. Im going to go with the 306 this time instead becasue the gas milage was hurtin my pocket, and the 306 would put out ALOT of power when Im done, and would be a better daily driver. Anyways, to my two questions. Should I just go with the DSS pro bullet 306, or buy my own parts and have my dads professional engine builder(I mean his work is so amazing) do it for me. I mean, I would put eagle crank, and SRP pistons and all the goodies, or should I make it easier on myself and go with DSS since I know there motors are also very good? My other question is whether I should go with Dart pro 1 aluminums, or the Trick Flow aluminums? My dad, and many other people have recommended the Darts. I myself have also witnessed the amazing power, and design and flow of the darts, but then I have heard alot of the twisted wedge trick flows. I want alot of feedback! Help me out fellow american muscle men! Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Trick Flow or Dart

Sounds like you can't really go wrong. so, whatever is cheapest or most effective. Anything professionally built is awesome so I'd go with that but if its gonna cost an arm and a leg, you can go wrong with that 306, that would rock...
Heads... same thing, I don't know about Dart's but the 2.02 intake valves on the trickflow are comparable to the AFR185s which are both great flowers... (flow-ers)
Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

go all out...afr 225's or vic juniors, that is if your FI....sorry i didnt feel like reading your whole post
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine just completed a serious series of tests on heads both on the flow bench and on the dyno. Find some back issues at the library or somewhere and read up on the heads. they did some really good technical testing and the results may just surprise you!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Travis

Ya I have the issue with the "Ultimate guide to cylnderheads, part 5" and i mean, they say the heads in the 3rd category flow to much for a stock motor. The heads in that category are as follows...AFR 205, Brodix M2 Track 1, Edel Vic Jr.77199, Dart Pro 1 cnc, TFS R, TFS high port. I wont be running a stock motor, but do you think these heads might be to much for a DSS 306 with a supercharger? If i had the pro build it, it will cost alot of money, and i think i can save myself hassle, money, an time if i go with DSS. My main priority right now is finding out what heads I should bolt on top of that hot short block Im getting. Also, should I buy seperate parts for the heads like valves, and springs, pr should I just but a pair of fully assembled heads? Im going to have the heads serviced by the best Head Service around, this guy does great work so I can have him piece together upgraded parts, or the original ones from th facotry tweaked. Let me know your guys opinions.