5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Inner Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 PM
MISTRDlCK
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Inner Tie Rods

So you just hammer the top off the pin and the inner tie rod will spin? I was thinking I had to drill it out but some genius at Ford put the pin at the top side so I really dont see how I could ever get a drill bit in there..
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM
posnick
2nd Gear Member

i did mine and if you count the threads before you remove the old ones and put the new ones on exactly the same you shouldnt need an alignment. my mechanic told me to do that and it worked like a charm!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I was lucky. On the one I chagned teh pin was gone. Also you dont need that special tool, Just use a big adjustable wrench.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

They're not too hard. I did one of my girlfriends 93 ragtop and it didn't take very long. I would replaced both inner and outers while you're there. There's probably no need to replace your whole rack since that will take alot more time and money.

And I would recommend getting an alignment just in case. I align all cars after anything kind of steering or suspension work. Unless you can 1. count the threads perfectly or 2. not mind a crooked steering wheel, then get it aligned.

Just .2 from an alignment tech.

PS - Make sure you don't rip your inner boot.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: posnick

i did mine and if you count the threads before you remove the old ones and put the new ones on exactly the same you shouldnt need an alignment. my mechanic told me to do that and it worked like a charm!
That statement is false. There is no way the replacement rod will be the identical length. Yeah, it might be close, but not exact. I do this everyday for a living. I can't tell you how may tie rods I have replaced like that and then aligned it only to find out it was way off. Save your tires and have it aligned!!!

It also helps to put lok-tite on the hread before reassembly.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: posnick

That statement is false. There is no way the replacement rod will be the identical length. Yeah, it might be close, but not exact. I do this everyday for a living. I can't tell you how may tie rods I have replaced like that and then aligned it only to find out it was way off. Save your tires and have it aligned!!!

It also helps to put lok-tite on the hread before reassembly.
This man is right.

Lok-tite is good too.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 PM
SpooledupRacing
2nd Gear Member

I will sell u an inner and outter piece for 110.00 shipped BRAND NEW

Dave
Old 07-04-2006, 01:04 AM
MISTRDlCK
1st Gear Member

How in the world do you get the drill to the pin? I tried using a screwdriver and hammer, I have a feeling there is still a little bit of the pin stuck in the hole. Will the tie rod be on the rack pretty tight or should it come loose easily?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
MISTRDlCK
1st Gear Member

bumpy bumpy..
Old 07-04-2006, 03:09 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

just buy another rack

Quick Reply: Inner Tie Rods