5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

drive belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 PM
sturno55

Default drive belt problems

Thanks for reading, I will make this as quick as possible, please help if you can. I recently had my drive belt snap in my 89 mustang, 5.0. before it did I heard a aloud squeeking sound. I got a new belt and put it on myself but it seemed a bit looser than it should be. When I started her up the loud squeeking sound was still there and sounded even louder. I tried to run it a minute to see if it stops but it seemed to get louder and looked like it was about to snapp all over again. Any suggestion?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: drive belt problems

kinda sounds like an accessory froze.....
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

pull you belt off and spin you pullies, I think you have a bad bearing. Do not run more unless you want to buy another belt.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

spin your a/c pulley and smog pump pulley slowly, try to feel if it spins smoothly or if its chunky and dry. it probably wont be your power steering if you can still steer the car easily, or your alternator if your battery is being charged. and i doubt its your water pump, unless your car is over heating or leaking coolant. spin em all though, just to make sure. oh. spin your idler pulley too.

as for the belt being loose it might be a little too big, how loose was it?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

How about your tensioner??? Could that be bad?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:43 PM
sturno55

Ok thanks for all the replies, I am not too good with the proper names so bear with me. I spun the alternator and it made a light squeek noise but I just had that replaced like 2 months ago , otherwise it spun fine. The p/s pully makes a weird wet clunky sound and doesnt spin smooth at all , there is also some slight movement in and out with it. I am guessing this one is the problem. Nothing else spins at all except for the fan. I thought the water pump was supposed to spin but what do I know. Also the belt was loose enouph that I could take it off without loosening the tensioner or anything. it slid right off the tensioner in fact but it was tight enuff that it wouldnt come off any other pully until I took it off the tensioner first. I checked that it is the proper belt for the car allready.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

ok first to address the power steering pump problem. you can move it in and out slightly? is it leaking anywhere? you shouldnt be able to move it in and out. Thats usually a sign of a broken pump shaft.

your a/c pulley should spin unless the clutch is locked up.

your smog pump should too unless the bearings locked up.

When you say you "took off" the tensioner, did you take it off of the engine? all you have to do is put a wrench on the nut and pull it one way, and it will move. you dont need to take it completly off.

If the belt is the right one it should fit. are you sure you're routing the belt the right way?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Your water pump should also spin by hand, easily.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

also, you tensioner is under a spring load and should have to be moved/loosened to remove the belt...another problem maybe. Try and move it also.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

yeah, forgot to mention that.

also if you need a belt routing diagram i can make one up real quick. lemme know

Quick Reply: drive belt problems