5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rattling sounds @ high R's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:12 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Default Rattling sounds @ high R's

Most of the time I drive in the city at no more than 3,000 R's once in a while I push my car a little harder- say into the yellow on the tach, and I remember why I don't push it up there.

When I get close to the yellow and into it no more than 50RPMs, I hear this terrible rattling noise and a sudden loss of SOME power - by no means all of it, as there's plenty left to keep it accelerating still closer to red - but the noise makes me very nervous and forces me to back down almost 100 percent of the time. I've never been able to isolate it, but it's consistent, and I've never had a mechanic check that out. Other than that, it pushes like mad for a nearly-stock engine and it's very quick.

I run Mobile 1 Synthetic 10w30 and have been for about a year and a half now and my engine has 81,380 miles on it, no cam changes, nothing like that.

Does anyone have any idea what that noise could be??! It scares the hell out of me.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 AM
5.0_PR
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rattling sounds @ high R's

It could be the vibration from all that power rattling some component, like the cats or exhaust.

1993 Mustangs came with the hyperteutic pistons that are weaker than the 87-92 pistons ..I wouldn't push the car into that high rpm range. You could be playin with trouble. Plus at that high rpm you are shortening the life of your block.

If this is that awesome blue with gray on the bottom, can you sell this car to me??
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

check yur timing bro. sounds like your getting a spark knock under load. what kind of gas you use?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:13 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Always Shell V-power 91 (since I bought the car I never once put 87 into it and only 89 about 3 times).

I advanced the timing a few degrees by hand when I had the corba manifold installed, it was backfiring and running rough at factory settings, so I turned it up and it runs fine till about yellow.

Infact, now that I think about it, I don't know if the car was doing that before I changed the timing (it might have been though, I don't remember).

5.0_PR- I LOVE my pony, I'm not givin her up without one hell of a fight.
I don't think it's an exhaust rattle, it sounds like it's coming out from under the hood. Also, the pistons couldn't be that bad, I'm just running it into yellow- I know there's alot of pressure when that happens, but they've gotta be stronger than that.

BTW- what are the hypertuetic pistons good for? Is it just that they're cheaper to produce?

Old 04-29-2006, 03:16 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

did you unhook your spout connector when you set the timing? you really should use a timing light too. get a light and set it back to 10 or 11*.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I unhooked the spout connector.

I've been driving it like this for about a year now, think I screwed something up by now?

Everything feels pretty clean.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:20 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

what kind of sound is it. its not a steady rattling, right? kind of off beat? or a steady even rattle?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:29 AM
5.0_PR
1st Gear Member

Another change (1993) that was frowned upon by the die-hard enthusiast was the change from forged pistons to hypereutectic slugs. The higher silicone content made these new pistons less capable of handling power adders such as superchargers, nitrous oxide, and turbochargers. However, hypereutectic pistons cut down on the oil consumption that forged pistons are notorious for. This problem was now a thing of the past"
Courtesy of Stangsunleashed.com
Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Thank you, PR.

Ikey, it's steady, real steady.

Sounds like someone is raking the pavement and it keeps up until I'm in the next gear or let the car rev down under the yellow.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

so its more like a steady clicling than a rattling?

Quick Reply: Rattling sounds @ high R's