5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Scan tool over MIL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Scan tool over MIL?

My Chilton's manual implies that there is some advantage over a scan tool versus using the "Check Engine Light". It implies that you can't retrieve the same kind of information with the CEL as you can using a scan tool. It says that the CEL light method should only be used in the field, and only retrieves stored codes (or some such nonsense). What does this mean? Doesn't the CEL light tell you the same info that a scan tool would, or am I confused?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:14 AM
highway21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Scan tool over MIL?

cel tells when there is something wrong or something not working and you count the blinks when you put in service mode. but a scanner obdI-obII does the same thing as cel and more. will tell you what all the sensors are reporting like throttle position sensor, coolant sensor, fuel ratio, ect.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

My Chilton's manual implies that there is some advantage over a scan tool versus using the "Check Engine Light". It implies that you can't retrieve the same kind of information with the CEL as you can using a scan tool. It says that the CEL light method should only be used in the field, and only retrieves stored codes (or some such nonsense). What does this mean? Doesn't the CEL light tell you the same info that a scan tool would, or am I confused?
For '86-'93 Mustang's EEC-IV systems the scanner doesn't do much, other than a menu-driven interface, and a database with all the codes definitions...for '94-up Mustangs and other Ford vehicles EEC-IV systems, '91-up...it allows the use of the "datastream" option, where you can check sensor outputs real time. I have an OTC Genisys System 2.0 (domestic, euro, asian, OBD-II........), and when I have to scan EEC-IV Mustangs/Fords....I have to wait for the blinking procedure to take place.....the only difference is that the scanner does the flash counting for me and stores the codes to be reviewed aftwerwards + I don't have to get a codes definitions table...it's built into the scanner.

Summarizing....by using the CEL/test light/VOM method, you have access to the same information from the ECM you would have with a scanner (-) the expense of a scanner. Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: Twisted

For '86-'93 Mustang's EEC-IV systems the scanner doesn't do much, other than a menu-driven interface, and a database with all the codes definitions...for '94-up Mustangs and other Ford vehicles EEC-IV systems, '91-up...it allows the use of the "datastream" option, where you can check sensor outputs real time. I have an OTC Genisys System 2.0 (domestic, euro, asian, OBD-II........), and when I have to scan EEC-IV Mustangs/Fords....I have to wait for the blinking procedure to take place.....the only difference is that the scanner does the flash counting for me and stores the codes to be reviewed aftwerwards + I don't have to get a codes definitions table...it's built into the scanner.

Summarizing....by using the CEL/test light/VOM method, you have access to the same information from the ECM you would have with a scanner (-) the expense of a scanner. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great explanation. That makes complete sense..[sm=smiley20.gif]