5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Calling all guru ignition gurus(update)

Old 04-30-2006, 01:03 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Calling all guru ignition gurus

Thanks man i will try to get some codes per test light and i will do the salt and pepper thing to.
I have monitored the tps while doing this and it seems to be ok i guess while in koeo it .997 volts and koer its like .427 volts or so.
When the timing advances I can unplug the iac and it changes the idle speed maybe 100-200 rpms. The only way I can get the idle back is unplug the spout but soon as i plug it back in it jumps back up. the car is posessed i guess.
ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Morning.....

The need to get the codes out of the EEC-IV is obvious, otherwise you could be throwing money at the problem w/out the assurance it will get solved. The symptom you describe is typical of an intermittent TPS that increases its output voltage after it gets hot at closed throttle, but need to confirm that is your case with a DIY KOEO/KOER self-test.....if the CEL doesn't work, use the test light/VOM alternatives explained in the link provided, but getting that information is key, even to id if the ECM is the culprit or not.

Other possibilities are:
- Wiring problem
- Faulty IAC
- Contact problems at the salt & pepper connectors(fix I suggest you do anyway, if you haven't yet)
- Bad ECM

Try the other alternatives to run the self-tests and let us know what you find out.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

Thanks man i will try to get some codes per test light and i will do the salt and pepper thing to.
I have monitored the tps while doing this and it seems to be ok i guess while in koeo it .997 volts and koer its like .427 volts or so.
When the timing advances I can unplug the iac and it changes the idle speed maybe 100-200 rpms. The only way I can get the idle back is unplug the spout but soon as i plug it back in it jumps back up. the car is posessed i guess.
THAT is not a good sign....the TPS shouldn't have that type of variation.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:53 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

So with the koeo volt being .997 which i set to this point should not drop to .42 or so while the engine is running.

BTW I am a Dumba** when it comes to Fords for i dont deal with them daily. Now if you need help on a Dodge I got your answer if not i can get it in a minute or so. I work on them daily.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

So with the koeo volt being .997 which i set to this point should not drop to .42 or so while the engine is running.

BTW I am a Dumba** when it comes to Fords for i dont deal with them daily. Now if you need help on a Dodge I got your answer if not i can get it in a minute or so. I work on them daily.
A MOPAR guy on rehab anh? ......[sm=joke.gif] man....a TPS is a TPS...Ford or Mopar....it shouldn't vary like that (I work on them too ).....it should increase to 1.0x vdc engine running.....run the codes, with the voltage output reading you mentioned, code 63 might show up.....if you need access to the wiring diagram of the EEC-IV for your car, check the ones available at Veryuseful.com.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:26 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Not a mopar guy just work on them daily. [:-]

Now that you mention it during koeo the tps on dodge is same as koer or real close depend on ais activity "ais is same as iac just diferent terminology"
Old 04-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Not a mopar guy just work on them daily. [:-]

Now that you mention it during koeo the tps on dodge is same as koer or real close depend on ais activity "ais is same as iac just diferent terminology"
Secret is safe....yeah, it's funny how they put the "automatic" in the beginning of their acro's..(AIS, ASD)
Old 04-30-2006, 07:00 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys I havent got a really good read on codes yet but I am trying. Soon as get a good read i will post em up
Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Thanks to the help of you guys and most part Joel5.0 its fixed so far so good.

Give a list to Joel on some codes i pulled and he sent back some definitions and possible cause's.
Double checked all the maf conversion and what not he suggested to me and found the whole cause was the tps was hanging on it.
While monitoring the tps on a range test found it was hanging at much higher setting than orginal setting.
Thus causeing the eec to raise the idle to match the readings and advance the timing. I replaced the tps and all is well now. thanks again you guys rock.[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=happybounce.gif].

If i was in Puerto Rico. I would buy you a beer.[sm=icon_cheers.gif] Thanks again man.

Justin