5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i agree with ya mc,but it seems he's having more problems than he can keep under control.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Stick a new battery in to see what happens. If it will start and run off a new battery, then you next disconnect the battery to see if it continues to run off the alternator. Maybe the alternator is dead and not charging the batt, and for some reason that batt isn't taking a charge now. When the car is off, do the lights light up bright and all, or are they really dim like the battery is dead? What voltage do you get from the battery itself, and does the whole problem go away when you disconnect the foglight wiring?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

bat is drained....start it next time and unhook bat. if it dies then you'll know it's alt.
Grabbem88.....FYI...that's a way of testing the alternator on an EFI system...it could cause other problems....
Old 04-30-2006, 02:39 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

it's not when you don't have the tools..

and joel FYI if his electrical is that far jacked on bat drain...it won't hurt...i know guy's that race with no alt.

just bat...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

it's not when you don't have the tools..

and joel FYI if his electrical is that far jacked on bat drain...it won't hurt...i know guy's that race with no alt.

just bat...
I know....but not the other way around (just alt)...it causes the alt to go full blast (and they melt nicely) + ground reference goes berserk.....I'm not complaining, this is good for the business.....but I won't do it in my car, I'll get a DVOM and check. My 2¢.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

actually iv'e seen both ways....i know your not mad at my comment,remember we have newbs that are learning so i should of told him"you can do it this way,but don't it unless you have to....here's the right way"...

hold up that's why i have you cleaning my mess up...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

actually iv'e seen both ways....i know your not mad at my comment,remember we have newbs that are learning so i should of told him"you can do it this way,but don't it unless you have to....here's the right way"...

hold up that's why i have you cleaning my mess up...
cool....believe me when I tell you that I've replaced a few TFI/HEI-ECM/PCM/ABSCM-ALT combos ($$$...for me too) when they check it that "old school" way....BTW..still waiting for those advertised duration #'s .
Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i'll hook ya up let me find them
Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

OK,
Here is where I am now.

I took the battery to have it tested. The battery charged and tested fine!

I took the alternator off. Took it to Advance to have them test it. The amperage was good. But in a KEY NOTE it said that light on wiring should be off! Well it was lit up red??? So they told me the alternator was bad??

I took the alternator to auto zone and they checked it and said it passed all tests? THey didnt have the little light wiring on their testor, a completely different tester.

SO, I come home and do a light test on the neg post and neg cable. THe light comes on. I went through every fuse removing them one at a time. The light testor came on with every fuse removed one at a time?

Now what the hell is going on?

I have my multimeter out. I left the pos battery cable hooked up. I undid the negative. I put the black multimeter wire in the COM CAT II hole, I put the red wired in the 10ADC hole. I turned the **** on the meter to 10A (in red). I touched the wires to the neg cable and the neg battery post. I cant get a read. What am I doing wrong here? Any more thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

buy a new alternator. it sounds like its not charging to me. I replaced mine even though it passed the test at the auto parts store. I took it to two different ones like you did, one with the light and one without, and had the same results. I just replaced it and the battery, cause they battery was old anyways. it works great now

Quick Reply: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!