5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!

when you say you cant get a read what do you mean? does your multimeter say 0.L or just 0.0?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I guess I need to see how large of draw I have.

Can someone tell me exactly how to do this with my scosche multimeter. I have never used one. In my above message click the link I have for scosche meter and then click on the picture to enlarge it. Can you tell me the settings I have the ****, where I plug the red and black wires. Also, how to have the battery and cables. Let me know asap so i can go check. Thanks, Landon.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

Now what the hell is going on?

I have my multimeter out. I left the pos battery cable hooked up. I undid the negative. I put the black multimeter wire in the COM CAT II hole, I put the red wired in the 10ADC hole. I turned the **** on the meter to 10A (in red). I touched the wires to the neg cable and the neg battery post. I cant get a read. What am I doing wrong here? Any more thoughts? Thanks.
If the test light check had the light on too bright....the drain could be over 10A.....causing the internal DMM fuse to blow.....believe me....it happens!....need to check how to gain access to the internal fuse and check its condition....or stick to using the test light for now.

Suggestion....start by checking the main fuse links at the starter solenoid, and isolate which one is causing the drain, by connecting one at a time to the solenoid, and monitor the test light...then check which color the wire(s) is/are and use this power dist. diagram(Courtesy of TMoss and Veryuseful.com) to id the culprit circuit possibilities.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

OK. I think this is now over my head. LOL. The test light I have has a black lead, and the positive is the metal tip. It lights up red or green.

I dont know what you mean by the test light to bright? I am confused. To my knowledge it lights up, or it doesnt?

Old 04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

see joel.............keep things simple..but do teach untill they catch on.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

your test light may not be the best tool for this, because any voltage is going to illuminate it. you might want to try a bigger light, like a headlight. and those fuses in your DVOM can be a bitch to change [:@]
Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

My bad then....thought you were using a regular 12vdc test light......which is the equivalent as using an 1156 replacement bulb....and should give you an idea how strong/faint the drain is (NPI)....

Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Well can either of you tell me how to use the darn multimeter on the negative terminal and negative cable?

I put the black wire in the COM port, the red in the 10adc???? What do I turn the **** too? This is the multi meter I have. multimeter Click the picture to enlarge to tell me exactly where to set it. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Right over the 10ADC port hole (follow the lines from the port)....
Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

So the black wire in the com, the red wire in the 10adc, and the center **** to the 10A? Then take the red wire and the black wire to the negative post, and negative cable with the cable disconnected? Leave the postive cable on?

Do i turn the meter on the touch the post and cable? I did this earlier at these settings and go 0 on the screen?

Quick Reply: WHAT NOW? CAR WONT START. READ THIS! GRRRRRRRR!