5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 03:17 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default engine swap question

Ok cool. I just want to make sure I don't get something that won't work on the motor. Since most of the items I am buying are lista under 89-93 mustang and all that. I want to make sure its the same motor before I blow it up or something. I almost bif on a pair of used iron GT40 heads on ebay last night. But i didn't know if they were worth $450. And also it had been veiwed 779 times and nobody made a bid so I was alittle scared of them. They said they had lowe mileage and were in great shape though. Anyways , the only mod I'm doing for right now is converting to mass air. I was going to get a cam put in it but I don't hane time now since we are dropping it in this saturday. I will just wait a while and make sure the engine is in good shape before I do anything else. I think I will probably get a cobra intake for it within a few weeks though . Is there a huge difference in the performance of the cobra and GT40 intakes? Also there are some Typhoon Power+Plus intakes on ebay right now , are they any good?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:52 PM
MustangGTRocks
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:48 PM
89muscle
2nd Gear Member

if you wnt the best intake, yor gonna pay more, go with systemax its provides themot flow and gives 39 hp over stock with after markt parts.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:12 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Ok well that works out good. I just went on a shopping spree at a local hotrod store and they have great deals so i have plenty left to get some goodies and still get it painted. Plus I noticed that they did have the systemax intake in stock so I will check out the price tomorrow and I might pick it up. I kinda destroyed the finish on my stock one trying to polish it. I was going to paint it but I will wait and see if I can get the systemax. Hey I bought some long tube hedman headers today and they don't have the o2 sensor holes in them. Does anyone know where to get the "Check Engine" light eliminator thingys for an 88 model engine (From a cougar if that matters)Other than that I'll just have to get someone to drill a hole in them and weld a nut that the sensor will screw into. Which would be cheaper do you think? I pulled the exhaust manifolds off today and the ports on those heads are TINY . I was like dang. I think I'm going to save up for some heads after I get it painted.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:23 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

It might be better to have somebody weld a bung on the pipes for you if your area has any kind of emissions requirements.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:29 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Well they aren't very strict around here. I mean the only time I even heard of anyone getting in trouble was this guy that worked with my girlfriend . He was running open headers haha. He had a sweet mustang . It was kind of a rag but it was like a 84-85 T-top. It's the only one I've seen like it before. It was fast as hell but it was kinda rednecked up and loud and obnoxious , rather than cool and loud. know what i mean? Like not the mean low tone but the "Oh my God what is that thing" tone. Anyway he got busted for it. But other than that i've never seen anyone get checked for cats or anything. I see ricers pulled over all the time because of there crazy lights and junk on there car. HAhahaha which reminds me the guy in a CRX pulled one of the ricer fly bys on me yesterday and I usually get annoyed by it but his car was so halarious ! I swear it was the worst one ever. I coudln't tell what kind of car it was at first because it had like 6 foglights on the front and when it went by I was like holy crap it's a crx haha. it looked like it was getting ready to fly into the sky to dock with the mothership or something with all the led lights and fog lights and everything. Hehe anyways back to the subject , so does it do anything bad if I just leave the O2 sensors unhooked or does it just make the check engine light stay on? My cousin told me it would run rich or something but I don't think he knows what he's talking about. But I might as well make sure. Oh and alsoI took the smog pump off , do I need to do anything to make it run right now or is it going to be ok?</P>
Old 05-30-2003, 02:32 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Oh I forgot! I'm taking the 4 banger out tomorrow and Saturday we are dropping in the 5.0 !!!! I am going to take some pictures of what my uncles has to do for the swap. I don't have a digital camera though. so i guess i'll have to scan them. Anyways I always see people asking stuff about the 4cyl to 5.0 swap so i thought since I am on it right now I might take some pics or even beter I might be able to borrow my parents digital video camera or something.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:28 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

Removing the smog pump is a common thing done to lower the parasitic loss of HP. You can run without it, but Bambi may not like it. As for the O2 sensors, your cousin is pretty much correct. They read the exhaust gasses and send a signal back to the computer for adjustments.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:18 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Ok cool I will have the guys at the muffler place weld bungs on for them. Is it going to hurt it on the drive over to the muffler shop. Its about 12-14 miles I think. I Don't think it would really hurt it would it?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:09 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

No. It's no different than driving with 2 bad sensors. You may run like crap and occasionally puff out some black smoke. But you will be fine.

Quick Reply: engine swap question