5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 02:07 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default engine swap question

Alright. My dad and uncle are going to try to put the engine in tomorrow. We got the 4 cyl out today and got the engine compartment cleaned out and ready to go. We have run into a couple of problems though. I bought some 1991 5.0 Mustang motor mounts today and they aren't going to work . The engine came out of the cougar of course and the mounts are different apparently. I'm riding to a local mustang salvage yard tomorrow early to see if they have the mounts that will work. Also we have neglected to find the gauge cluster for a V-8 . So the Tach is going to be all out of wack. I think i'll just get a bigger tach and mount it somewhere else and just leave the in dsash gauges alone for now.I don't plan on going more than 85 Mphso i don't care about the speedo as long as it will work. Plus I need to find a belt that will work since I took off the A/C and smog pump. Also my uncle said something about having to mess with the fuel lines. Hopefully t will atleast be mostl done tomorrow and i can finish putting in the wiring harness and doing the basic tune-up stuff. got the pulgs , wires , oil , oil filter , fuel filter , coolant. So I'm all set. maybe it will be on the road by next week .</P>
Old 05-31-2003, 11:29 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

I didn't know the mounts were different. Both are fox body cars. I thought the mounts would be the same. Keep in mind that if you bought solid mounts then depending on the brand, its a 2 piece mount.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:08 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I thought they were the same to thats why I didn't get them first thing. But they really were different. We were going to use the mounts from the cougar but something was wrong with one of them so we had to get the upper ones from another mustang this morning. But we got the engine in the car now and got the wiring harness on. probably have it going in a few days. I have to get another power steering pump though. We noticed it had a big crack in it today from the wreck it was in. The pulley was bustaed off it but it looked ok at first. Well it ain't. Anyways , does anyone know if the gas tank and fuel pump from an 88 cougar will work in my stang? My fuel pump stays on canstantly and makes a buzzing noise. it works fine but the noise drives me mad and I'm afraid it's going to die on my soon. Some people tell me it's supposed to run all the time but the guy at Advances auto told me the pump was screwed up. So I'm hoping I can use the tank and pump from the cougar.