5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 05:54 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default engine swap question

<FONT face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size=2>I just bought a 1988 Cougar for the engine , trans , and rear end to swap into my 4 banger 1991 Mustang Coupe.I didn't realize that i had screwed up and forgot about it being speed density until to late. Also , i found out the heads suck and that the pistons are different from 89- 93 mustangs ( atleast thats what I was told). I was also told that an E-303 cam wouldn't work in it because the pistons are flat top , is this true? Do I have a worthless engine? It has low mileage and works great it's just not got the power I want. i would just get some good heads and a carb and manifold and cam but then I'd have to get different pistons , and a C4 tranny ( which I already plan to do soon) because right now it has an AOD. Anyway can someone give me some advice and tell me what my options are? I mean I'm stuck with it for sure so what can I do to get some power out of it? I can get all the stuff to convert to mass air pretty easily but it will still suck even after that right? I mean it will be better but I still can't put the cam I want in it and the heads will still suck . Anyway someone help me out , nobody answered my other post and i need some advice before this weekend cause I got a guy I'm paying to come help me pull the engine and trans and everything. He said if i want to get it rebuilt and get the cam and pistons put in he will start this weekend. So help me out peopleI don't want to do anything stupid or waste money. Is there anything else I need to consider? In the end I am looking for 350 hp so I need to know what i need to do to get this thing to put out some power because right now it ain't looking to good. I only got $4,000 left and I need enough to get everything swapped and hopefully get an ok paint job.</FONT>

</P>
</P>
Old 05-23-2003, 01:13 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

I thought the bird and cougar came with the H.O. motor too. If so, then it will have all the good stuff.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

I would not worry anout the paint job right as of the moment, it looks like you have a bigger job ahead of you.
I would say be sure that the car is in proper working order and runnig the way you want it first.Looks are good but you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ when a car that doesn't look as good as yours hands you your a$$.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:33 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Well I am definetly going to make sure the car is working good before I get it painted. I am just saying that hopefully I'll have some cash left to get it painted . Because I'de rather have a slow car that looked good then a fast one the looks ghetto. hehe . It actually looks ok but clear coat is chipping off the roof and the trim around the windows is turning grey and getting little pits in them. Does anyone know about the pistons?? I was on a cougar enthusiast webpage and in the tech articles it said that in 1988 the engines had flat top pistons , and the heads didn'tbreath worth a crap. I want to put an E-303 cam in it but I'm afraid the valves will hit . Does anyone here have an 88 5.0 with flat tops? And have you tried the E-303? The engine definetly isn't a HO because the plate on the intake just says 5.0 EFI . Plus the cougar web page had articles on what you had to do to make it the same as an HO.The engine is speed density to. Do you recommend just going carb and getting new heads or should I get a new intake heads and convert to mass air? I like carbs personally but I got an AOD trans so I'de have to get a C4 or something.</P>

</P>

</P>
Old 05-23-2003, 10:42 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

First off, the plate dont mean dick. Mustangs are flat top pistons too. They have valve reliefs in them for clearance. Keep the F.I. and buy a mass air kit. You will need mass air to keep the F.I. and run a different cam. But when I was working at a local bone yard, we sold the motors out of T-Birds, Cougars, and Mark VII's as high output motors. Pull a valve cover off and check the head casting numbers. I have a feeling that it is basically the same motor as the mustang.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:10 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

OK I will. I know the plate doesn't mean anything really I just noticed that the plate has an HO on some and some don't. Well they guy I bought the motor from runs a salvage yard for mustangs and my uncle also owns a mustang salvage and performance company and they told me it was the same motor. The only reason I thought otherwise is because some guys my dad works with said it is different and this cougar webpage said that it had different heads and pistons . I don't remember exactly everything it said but it lead me to believe that it was alot different. It said the motor in 88 had 155 Hp. But as far as the mass air I can get the computer and wiring and sensor easy. I'm putting it in a 1991 Lx 4 cyl. Should I get the complete wiring harness from the car I get the mass air stuff off of? Or can I use the one from the cougar or even the one already in my 4 cyl. I assume I should get the one from the car I get the mass air stuff from .</P>
Old 05-24-2003, 04:59 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

You are correct. Get all the stuff from the donor. Including the computer. You will be much happier with the F.I. on the car. Much more flexible. It leaves options open for forced induction as well as NOS. There are kits to put a blower on a carb, but they are low psi. You can put a bds style blower on, but they are expensive and huge.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:54 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Got the engine and harness and trans out of the cougar today. used 3 cans off gunk on it and it is starting to look pretty nice. On the outside that it. Hopefully the engine is in good condition. Found out the previous owner was a lady and it was a 1 owner car. So it probably wasn't hot rodded or anything. we are going to take my 4 banger out next weekend so I have to get the mass air comp , harness and sensor before then. Shouldn't be a prob. Well I am sure I'de probably have more luck with the FI but I actually really like the way roots blowers look. I kinda want the big nasty scoop sticking out of the hood . Looks more intimidating when the ricers pull up next to you. Hehehe. And lemme tell ya, they are terrible here around Knoxville. They always pull up to my 4 banger and start giving it hell reving their engines up . It's sad. Even more sad because I can't try to race them in my little 4 banger that weighs alot more and has no power at all. Hopefully that will change in the next 2 weeks. racing isn't smart or important , but they sure **** me off and I bet it will feel nice to smoke one every once in a while to relieve stress.But anyways , yeah i think I will stick with the FI . I'm bidding on a typhoon power+plus intake on ebay right now.Anyone know if theyare the worth a crap?
Old 05-24-2003, 11:00 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

ha ha. you will give em a good suprise real soon. I enjoy shocking the hell out of them with my Dakota. The new ones don't have the engine size badge on them anymore. Hardly anybody realizes that it's an 8. Its not fast, but it will suprise most people (runs consistant 15.0's).
Old 05-26-2003, 02:08 PM
89muscle
2nd Gear Member

well i have an 87 cougar with a 5.0 HO and the only diference is the heads they flow less and dont produce the amount of power that the mustang heads do. other than that they are the same motor. im plannin on pulling the motor, rebuilding it, and dropping it in a cobra kit car. so its gonna be nasty. well hope it helps.

Quick Reply: engine swap question