5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine/trans problem?

Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

Default engine/trans problem?

first of all i have a 94 gt with a v8 engine. ok, so here's the problem...
throughout the winter i didn't really have this problem with my car but now that it's getting warmer and more humid it's been acting up. when i'm driving it at a steady speed all of a sudden the rpms will shoot up to about 3. you can hear the engine working harder but it's as if the car itself isn't moving. the rpms shoot back down to 1 or 2 and the car jerks forward rather hard. sometimes the rpm needle will just shoot back and forth between 1 and 2 over and over and you can hear the engine reving. the jerking isn't as noticeable when it does that. any opinions on what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 03-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: engine/trans problem?

your car is an auto right? if so then it is in the tranny. it is letting go and then catching back in gear. replace it .
Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Muffstain76

Hold,..on,..before replacing the transmision,..it may be possible that the lockup solenoid/circuit may be faulty,...try to take it to the dealer for $70, and they can tell you everything. It beats throwing 2000.00 on a new tranny
Old 03-25-2004, 11:32 PM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

Could even be the torque converter but I doubt that...Most likely the tranny is D-E-A-D just about anyway.....I say take it to someone and have them look at it. There is no actual way any of us can tell you without seeing the car etc.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:33 PM
D1g1tal V3n0m
I ♥ Acer

Double post owned me...
Old 03-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

had the same problem with my 94 gt and it was the not the lockup soleoid. but it was replace also. tranny was shot. try the solenoid first but i think it is still the tranny. mine did the same exact thing and i replced it. hell if it will save money buy all means try it first.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:08 AM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

the ****ty thing is that it hardly seems to do it when anyone else is in the car. my brother works at the dealership so when it started acting up he took it out with me and ran it around. it did it a little, so he says, but it didn't do the major jerking. so knowing my luck if i take in it won't act up for them. i'll see what i can do. thanx for the opinions
Old 03-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

ok, so now that i got some responses from you guys, my family pretty much believes it's the transmission. it seems like they've pretty much decided to get it checked out, have it fixed, and then want to sell my car... MY car! they seem to have come to the conclusion that my car is nothing but a lemon. we've put so much money into my car already and now they want to put more into it and then sell it. they're afraid more is gonna go wrong with it. they also wanna buy me a 2003 with a v6 instead so "it doesn't have all the power" as the one i have now does. i'm pissed based on this plus i put about $400 into my stereo system which i'll have to take out and sell and/or replace it in a new car which would already have a cd player. i've done a few other things to the car too and personally, i don't wanna get rid of it because even though it wasn't what i first wanted when i got it, now i love it because no one else around me has anything like it in terms of color scheme and what not. i stand out. do i have a right to be a little upset with all this??[sm=smiley7.gif]
Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

drive that car very easily until as long as you can, likely somethings gonna give ESPecially if you drive it hard.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Stang Angel
1st Gear Member

my mom actually didn't even let me drive it to school today cause she was worried about it. i haven't been driving it hard since it started acting up a lot. i'm just pissed cause to me, if they fix the problem i feel like we should keep it then. we've been putting our money into it so why sell it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine/trans problem?