FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP. - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Reload this Page >

FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

I am going to work on my 3G alternator upgrade tonight. Or at least get some of the supplies. I am going to put in a wafer/ANL style fuse and holder on the 4 gauge power wire. Is a 150 Amp fuse enough? I noticed some say to use a 125; well no one has a 125 locally. So I can get a 150, or a 200. I see some say to use a 200. What does everyone recommend?

Also, if I already have 4 gauge ground from battery to frame, and 4 gauge ground to engine block I don’t need to change anything do I? I only need 4 gauge wires for the power, correct? I do nothing with a ground anywhere on the car or alt? Please let me know ASAP as I plan to get these parts in a few hours. Thanks, Landon.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you can use a alt from a 1996 f-150 fits nice with no grinding
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Going to complete a 3G alt upgrade tomorrow. Help me out please.

I guess to keep it simple for my rookie a**. If I use 4 gauge from the alternator stud, directly to the battery do I need to do anything to the factory ground wires in the car? Or just leave them?

Secondly, Can someone in simple terms tell me exactly what I need to do to wire this alt up? Here is what I think is correct.

Take 4 gauge directly from the battery to the stud on the alt, going to put in a 150A inline fuse.

The one factory alt plug, keep all wires intact and plug into the alternator.

Cut the connector off the other plug. Now, I believe the two black and orange need ring terminals, connect these two to the stud on the 3G alt as well. Correct? The remaining wire from this connector I connect to the little connector on the 3G alt? Stator?(SPELLING?)

Now I have read do not connect the black/white wires. I dont know where those are at or what they are talking about. I think I am on the right track.

So, do I do anything to the ground? What wires do I not use out of the factory alt connectors? Do I remove any wiring? Please a little more help on this. Thanks, Landon.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:58 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Do I do anything with my factory grounds? If yes, WHAT?

Secondly, I think I have this basically done, I am just waiting on my ANL style fuse holder to get here.

I do have one remaining questions. Does the single white wire I cut off the non used connector, does it actually just loop from the stator plug into the regulator plug? I pulled back some tape and it seems it actually comes out of the regulator plug. Is this correct? I want to make sure before I fire my car up. No one every mentioned it looped out of the regulator plug and then connect it to the 3G alt stator lone plug? Thanks and let me know asap.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:01 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

Ok,

I think I have this almost done, just waiting on my ANL fuse holder to get here in the mail. One last thing I need to do is put the belt back on. THis is the first time I have taken it off my car. What is the easiest way to get it back on? I was trying to put it over the alt pulley last. I messed with it for a few minutes and damn, I couldnt get it. Then the wife was yelling telling me to hurry up to go out to eat. I honestly dont think I can get the dam belt back on the way I was trying to do it. Can somone tell me exactly how to do it, what pully to pull it on last? I had to be trying something wrong, because i was 1/2-1 inch off, at least. Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

18mm socket and a braker bar. put the braker bar on the tensioner pullie rout the belt around so the alt is the only thing left to put the belt on. pull on the tensioner and slide the belt under the tensioner and over the alt.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

I am just using a socket. I dont have anything, i dont think to use as a breaker bar.

If I find something I will try it. WHat are you resting the breaker bar against? I hope that is clear, what are you using as the leverage point to push the tensionor up?

Any household Items I might have to use as a breaker that are skipping over my brain?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 AM
elmustang5.0
3rd Gear Member

did you get that at a junk yard or where did you get it?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:19 AM
biglg
2nd Gear Member

ME? My 3G alternator? Yes, I picked on up for $50. It had a guarantee to work. I immediately went to an auto parts store and had it tested. THe first one tested bad, the second one was good.

Even if it goes bad, I have a local place that will rebuild it for $20. SO I would still be well ahead of a new priced 3g.

Why do you ask?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 AM
elmustang5.0
3rd Gear Member

im looking to buy one cause i just bought a new duralast gold and the gauge still marks the voltage low. it has an electric fan so i dont know if it needs a bigger alternator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.