MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/122655-fox-alternator-upgrade-which-one-help-please-need-one-asap.html)

biglg 05-01-2006 11:38 AM

FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

I have an 89 Mustang Gt Convertible. The alternator is bad. I would like to put in an upgraded larger alternator. I plan to later have a stereo, electric fan, etc.

I know some people are using 94-95 mustang alternators. Can someone please tell me if I purchase one what exactly I will need and instructions on how to do the install?

Are there other alternators from other cars that will also work? I have seen on eBay where there is a seller than sells a direct bolt on no modification and they label it as small housing/casing.

Any recommendations on the best replacement alternator with the smallest amount of modification would be great. Let me know the vehicle make and years. If I have to do modifications please let me know all and any instructions and parts needed. Thanks as always.

Joel5.0 05-01-2006 01:55 PM

RE: FOX ALTERNATOR UPGRADE. WHICH ONE? HELP PLEASE. NEED ONE ASAP.

Here are some articles with the information you need...

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/130a-tech.html
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ce/index.shtml
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=75

Enjoy....;)

1fastzook 05-01-2006 02:00 PM

I have a 200 amp stinger audio alt in the stock location that was made for the 94-95.All i had to do was splice into the factory alt wire harness and run a 0 ga wire from the +post on the alt to the batt+.and stinger said i had to ground the case of the alt with a 0 ga to.

biglg 05-01-2006 06:13 PM

Thanks guys. I picked up a 3G alternator off a newer Mustang for $50. I have read contradicting information on this next topic. Do I use my stock 2g alternator pulley, or leave the pulley that is on the 3g alternator I just purchased used? I am sure i will have more questions, but that is it for now.

Oh no, not really. I am going to use 4gauge and rewire. Can anyone give me a part number for this fusable link that I need? Like from autozone, advance auto parts, radio shack, lowes? I would like to make sure I get the correct fuse for this. Or just tell me what sytle fuse and holder, and exactly where I want to put the fusable link. If I use 4 gauge power, does the car need new 4 gauge groud? What gauge is the ground on my car now?

r.barn 05-01-2006 06:16 PM

just go up to Autozone and tell them what you're doing and
what you're after.
They'll fix you right up.

ORIGINAL: biglg

Thanks guys. I picked up a 3G alternator off a newer Mustang for $50. I have read contradicting information on this next topic. Do I use my stock 2g alternator pulley, or leave the pulley that is on the 3g alternator I just purchased used? I am sure i will have more questions, but that is it for now.

Oh no, not really. I am going to use 4gauge and rewire. Can anyone give me a part number for this fusable link that I need? Like from autozone, advance auto parts, radio shack, lowes? I would like to make sure I get the correct fuse for this. Or just tell me what sytle fuse and holder, and exactly where I want to put the fusable link. If I use 4 gauge power, does the car need new 4 gauge groud? What gauge is the ground on my car now?

biglg 05-01-2006 06:19 PM

LMAO!

RBARN, you must have a well staffed Autozone, or you are relying on guys that you shouldnt be. Do you live in a different planet. They guys at my autozone wont have a clue, nor would I trust them.

biglg 05-01-2006 06:20 PM

What about the PULLEY size. I remember reading someone said I could use the 2g stocker with some form of washer. I dont remember? Anyone?

Can I use the 3g stocker?

r.barn 05-01-2006 06:22 PM

yeah, guess I'm lucky, guys at my local Autozone and O'rielley are pretty sharp.

LMAO!

RBARN, you must have a well staffed Autozone, or you are relying on guys that you shouldnt be. Do you live in a different planet. They guys at my autozone wont have a clue, nor would I trust them.

1fastzook 05-01-2006 06:25 PM

What about the PULLEY size. I remember reading someone said I could use the 2g stocker with some form of washer. I dont remember? Anyone?

Can I use the 3g stocker?
yes you can use the 3g pulley

gspfunk 05-01-2006 06:32 PM

I'll be doing the same thing here shortly, but I'm going w/ a local place [Dallas], Alterstart.

4alterstart.com

130 & 150 amp alt's are $139.99

biglg 05-02-2006 05:00 PM

I am going to work on my 3G alternator upgrade tonight. Or at least get some of the supplies. I am going to put in a wafer/ANL style fuse and holder on the 4 gauge power wire. Is a 150 Amp fuse enough? I noticed some say to use a 125; well no one has a 125 locally. So I can get a 150, or a 200. I see some say to use a 200. What does everyone recommend?

Also, if I already have 4 gauge ground from battery to frame, and 4 gauge ground to engine block I don’t need to change anything do I? I only need 4 gauge wires for the power, correct? I do nothing with a ground anywhere on the car or alt? Please let me know ASAP as I plan to get these parts in a few hours. Thanks, Landon.

2 kwik 05-02-2006 05:01 PM

you can use a alt from a 1996 f-150 fits nice with no grinding

biglg 05-02-2006 11:56 PM

Going to complete a 3G alt upgrade tomorrow. Help me out please.

I guess to keep it simple for my rookie a**. If I use 4 gauge from the alternator stud, directly to the battery do I need to do anything to the factory ground wires in the car? Or just leave them?

Secondly, Can someone in simple terms tell me exactly what I need to do to wire this alt up? Here is what I think is correct.

Take 4 gauge directly from the battery to the stud on the alt, going to put in a 150A inline fuse.

The one factory alt plug, keep all wires intact and plug into the alternator.

Cut the connector off the other plug. Now, I believe the two black and orange need ring terminals, connect these two to the stud on the 3G alt as well. Correct? The remaining wire from this connector I connect to the little connector on the 3G alt? Stator?(SPELLING?)

Now I have read do not connect the black/white wires. I dont know where those are at or what they are talking about. I think I am on the right track.

So, do I do anything to the ground? What wires do I not use out of the factory alt connectors? Do I remove any wiring? Please a little more help on this. Thanks, Landon.

biglg 05-04-2006 12:58 AM

Do I do anything with my factory grounds? If yes, WHAT?

Secondly, I think I have this basically done, I am just waiting on my ANL style fuse holder to get here.

I do have one remaining questions. Does the single white wire I cut off the non used connector, does it actually just loop from the stator plug into the regulator plug? I pulled back some tape and it seems it actually comes out of the regulator plug. Is this correct? I want to make sure before I fire my car up. No one every mentioned it looped out of the regulator plug and then connect it to the 3G alt stator lone plug? Thanks and let me know asap.

biglg 05-04-2006 03:01 AM

Ok,

I think I have this almost done, just waiting on my ANL fuse holder to get here in the mail. One last thing I need to do is put the belt back on. THis is the first time I have taken it off my car. What is the easiest way to get it back on? I was trying to put it over the alt pulley last. I messed with it for a few minutes and damn, I couldnt get it. Then the wife was yelling telling me to hurry up to go out to eat. I honestly dont think I can get the dam belt back on the way I was trying to do it. Can somone tell me exactly how to do it, what pully to pull it on last? I had to be trying something wrong, because i was 1/2-1 inch off, at least. Thanks guys.

Tims 88GT 05-04-2006 03:08 AM

18mm socket and a braker bar. put the braker bar on the tensioner pullie rout the belt around so the alt is the only thing left to put the belt on. pull on the tensioner and slide the belt under the tensioner and over the alt.

biglg 05-04-2006 03:11 AM

I am just using a socket. I dont have anything, i dont think to use as a breaker bar.

If I find something I will try it. WHat are you resting the breaker bar against? I hope that is clear, what are you using as the leverage point to push the tensionor up?

Any household Items I might have to use as a breaker that are skipping over my brain?

elmustang5.0 05-04-2006 03:17 AM

did you get that at a junk yard or where did you get it?

biglg 05-04-2006 03:19 AM

ME? My 3G alternator? Yes, I picked on up for $50. It had a guarantee to work. I immediately went to an auto parts store and had it tested. THe first one tested bad, the second one was good.

Even if it goes bad, I have a local place that will rebuild it for $20. SO I would still be well ahead of a new priced 3g.

Why do you ask?

elmustang5.0 05-04-2006 03:35 AM

im looking to buy one cause i just bought a new duralast gold and the gauge still marks the voltage low. it has an electric fan so i dont know if it needs a bigger alternator.

biglg 05-04-2006 11:19 AM

Yes, You need to get a new alternator with an electric fan. Just call a junk yard and see if they have any. Make sure you find out if the is a guarantee on it. Secondly, there are a ton of 3g alts out there on different vehicles. Do a search, a lot of cars have alts that will work on our cars. I know a 94-95 gt does, there are thunderbirds, f-150s, cougars, v6 stangs, and more. Good luck.

1fastzook 05-04-2006 11:48 AM

The 150a fuse will be good enough.I dont know it the wires are the same color as mine but the directions for my alt says LG/R"new plug" will splice into the green"fact plug"and the Y/w"new plug" will splice will splice into the yellow"fact plug"the white wire is not used.

pat 05-04-2006 12:39 PM

140 amp powermaster

biglg 05-04-2006 03:40 PM

I have a question about the fuse for the new 4 gauge power wire on a 3G Alt upgrade. I was planning to put this near the battery or solenoid, whichever I use for the power supply.

I read that some people are putting the fuse under the factory air box, which would make the fuse location closer to the alternator.

I always thought you wanted it closest to the power supply. Can someone confirm the best location for the fuse on the 4 gauge power wire from the 3G alt stud to the battery or solenoid?

settled4automatic 05-04-2006 04:26 PM

AWESOME post, i'm saving this thread just for those links :)

noel256 05-04-2006 04:45 PM

Wish I had seen your post sooner since I just went thru this so I feel for u..I bought the alt. at pepboys, I asked for a 95 mustang alternator then checked the pulley and it had 5 grooves which matches my belt. The pulley is bigger than the 2g but don't worry because the belt tensioner will still be in range when u put the belt back on(if not change belt so it's in range).

I got the parts at http://www.partsexpress.com

071-952 150A GOLD PLATED WAFER FUSE .. 1 1 $3.90 $3.90
263-630 WAFER FUSE HOLDER .. 1 1 $5.80 $5.80 (there's a waterproof one u can buy)
095-656 GOLD RING 4 GA. 5/16" 2 PAIR .. 1 1 $2.85 $2.85
100-918 P3 4 GA RED POWER WIRE 25' SP.. 1 1 $16.93 $16.93 (on sale)

I also ordered the Stator Plug from http://pa-performance.com
Part # 462804
Title: 3G Stator Plug
Price Each: $4.50

That's it man! just sit back and wait for the parts to arrive.
I put the fuse on the solenoid end about a foot or so then tucked it next to the battery.

biglg 05-05-2006 01:36 AM

I purchased a pipe and used it as a breaker bar, it made it 100 times easier to get the belt on.

All i need to know now is where to put the inline fuse on the 4 gauge power wire. Should I put it closer to the alternator, or closer to the power wire where it connects to the power side of the solenoid? I have read to put it both places. Which one would be better? Closer to the solenoid, or the alternator? Thanks.

noel256 05-05-2006 12:27 PM

I just use the a tire iron and wedge it between the tensioner pulley and it's body(where the range dial is) and use it as a lever - real easy.

I guess it doesn't matter where you put the fuse as long as you put one. I put it on the solenoid side and if you think about it, the fuselinks that were on the two 10 gauge cables that you're replacing are on the far side of the laternator..there are many diagrams on the web, here's one http://www.tffn.net/altwirng.html

settled4automatic 05-13-2006 03:53 PM

Bringin this thread back to life :)

i'm going to do the 3g conversion here on my 88gt soon. would you guys recommend getting a new 3g alternator?... or getting one off a car at the junk yard?? i don't know how much it would be at a junk yard, $50 or something -- but i can get a new one for $170+tax at my ford dealer.. i'm afraid of a junk yard one acting up, since it will have probably been sitting for a while. tell me what you all think --

new 3g/junkyard 3g?????

noel256 05-15-2006 01:03 AM

Depends how long you want to keep the car. I know I will not be getting rid of it so I bought a 130 amp Boush at Pepboys with lifetime warranty. Think I paid about 160 with core.

PRO50SC 05-15-2006 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: settled4automatic

Bringin this thread back to life :)

i'm going to do the 3g conversion here on my 88gt soon. would you guys recommend getting a new 3g alternator?... or getting one off a car at the junk yard?? i don't know how much it would be at a junk yard, $50 or something -- but i can get a new one for $170+tax at my ford dealer.. i'm afraid of a junk yard one acting up, since it will have probably been sitting for a while. tell me what you all think --

new 3g/junkyard 3g?????
Well the one I bought from 50resto just crapped out so I sent it back to pa performance for repair. I bought a juck yard unit so I can still drive it around. It was 40 bucks, works great. Then I have a spare if it happens again.

settled4automatic 05-15-2006 03:28 AM

cool. i think i'm just gonna get a new 3g from my ford shop. i work at a GM shop, but my company has this other ford shop, along with another nissan/subaru -- so i get looootsa parts at cost :) i don't know if the $170 they priced me has any kinda core knockoff tho.. check into that tomorra!

5.0 MPG 05-21-2006 10:34 PM

Hey guys I need to bring this thread back to life. I referred to these 2 links and installed a 3g alt last night and Im not getting any juice.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ce/index.shtml
http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/130a-tech.html

Here is what I did:

On the factory alt there is 2 connectors. I cut the one with the 2 black and orange wires and the small yellow and black (maybe white with a black stripe). Then I put terminals on the 2 black and orange wires and screwed them on the 3g post with a 4 gauge wire also going to the starter relay. The yellow black wire I spliced into the single wire going into the 3g alt. The other plug fits right into the plug in the 3g alt.

PRO50SC 05-21-2006 10:48 PM

What you did sounds right. Did you check to see if you have juice to the power feed wire? Also, new or used unit?

5.0 MPG 05-21-2006 10:59 PM

Used, The power feed lines are the black and orange ones right?

PRO50SC 05-21-2006 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Used, The power feed lines are the black and orange ones right?
Yup. Maybe the junker is no good.

gspfunk 05-22-2006 11:26 AM

I don't think you can use the stock plug on the new alt....I beleive the stocker only uses 2 of the 3 wires while the 3g uses 3 wires. You have to splice a harness in..... that's what I read.

PRO50SC 05-22-2006 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

I don't think you can use the stock plug on the new alt....I beleive the stocker only uses 2 of the 3 wires while the 3g uses 3 wires. You have to splice a harness in..... that's what I read.
The regulator plus is the same. Just have to adapt the power wires.

P Zero 05-22-2006 12:21 PM

My factory alternator is 130 amp. I ran a 137 dB 2000 watt stereo off of this, no problems, no dimming lights or anything. 200 amp......what for? You dont have that many accessories. I think the one off of an 86 GT(should be similar output 130amp), will have the proper plug you need. Should be a direct bolt in.
-P.

1fastzook 05-22-2006 12:40 PM

I have 2 200 amp alts and i can still draw them down 11 volts.I personally would take the 200 over the 130 any day