5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just got my first stang

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Aaronic

Default Just got my first stang

Just picked up an 87 Mustang GT 5spd. Got a good deal on it considering it has a rebuilt engine and tranny with less than 4k km on them.

I don't know too much about cars but I got a few questions...

The guy told me to ignore the tach and that the engine goes right to 7k RPM because of the rebuilt engine... He also says it has 273 rwhp but the only mod is it has flowmaster exhaust.

It has a few minor problems that I should get fixed before I start using it as my daily driver... He used to have a fiberglass hood and now the stock hood is back on but it has a hell of a time shutting properly. You have to smash it down real hard for it to click in and the last time I couldn't even get it to lock down even after slammin it 15 times... I didnt want to ruin the paint on the front so I stopped trying. I also noticed that the back hatch doesn't close now. It just doesn't lock shut so anyone can just come up and open it. Also my power locks don't work.

Should I take it to a shop or are those things fairly easy to fix myself?

Thanks in advance, and I attached a pic.

Aaron

[IMG]local://upfiles/36550/DB89E886A95B401B924850E05301DC22.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2006, 04:20 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got my first stang

As soon as you find the problem...it'll be easy to fix. Check power to wires to the door locks. Check the actuators. A good thing to do is pull out the switchboard on the door and use a voltage light and see if it's getting power. My passenger side doesnt get power to the lock button. It may be the same as yours.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Damn that pic is small. ha ha ha ha. But from what I can see that thing look sweet. I wanna paint my car a slightly darker shade of blue than that but it looks really good. Be good to it and it'll be good to you. I do have to warn you that now you have a Mustang and owning a Mustang is a real strain wallet as well as your personal life. This is due to the modding BUG that everyone here has. You'll find yourself buying new parts left and right just to see how much better you can make your car. Your famly (girlfriend usually) will get jealous of your car.

But relax. It's all fun.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

i thought he said the hatch wasnt locking, meaning it dosnt stay shut?

as for the hood, check to see if the latch is bent or any part of the mechanism is bent. had this issue with my LS and i had to slam it like u did. then one day i noticed the latch was bent, so i hit it with a hammer and it shuts fine

your car does not have 273rwhp with just an exhaust done to it...

these cars came with 225hp stock and i doubt that exhaust is giving you any improvements on these numbers because the stock exhaust on these cars was the best out at the time anyway
Old 05-04-2006, 04:42 PM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

awesome looking car man!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

very nice looking car. dont take the stock motor to 7k because ur going to blow it up. 5500 is about max.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

I*f you want advice on your hatch, you want to go to a junkyard around you and fine a 92 to 93 Fox Hatch. The latching mechanism changed the later part of 91 and is a lot better of a latch. I have a 91 and I had a lot of problems with the hatch having to be slammed to close and sometimes driving down the street I would hit a bump or a pot hole and the hatch would come unlatched and I would hav get out and slam it at the next light. I don't have that problem anymore, now that I switched it over. You can tell if its' the right one by looking at the striker (the little peg thing) If you look at yours you'll see it's kinda wide and probably black in color with a big pastic thing around it. The one you need is skinner and usually goldish in color. Get the whole setup. The striker and the latching part. Should take all of 10 mins at most to take it out. Cut some of the wiring as well for easy intallation back in your car.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

u ought to check out "The blue mustang club" in off topic.... post up some pics and they will be added to the list [8D]
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

need larger pic!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

Sweet looking ride,hook us up with bigger pics.

Quick Reply: Just got my first stang