5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can anyone help with turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Thericerdicer

Default RE: Can anyone help with turn signals?

Ok. Well I guess you had to be there.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I dug this up from a few pages back instead of starting a new post.
My 93 LX has the same problem. 4-ways work correctly, but turn signals act weird. The left turn signal will blink at a very rapid rate, while the right signal just comes on and doesn't blink.
If I'm understanding this post so far, there are 2 different flashers. One for the 4-ways, and another for the turn signals. I take it the one for the 4-ways is located in the fuse panel, because I've changed that one and there's no difference. Where exactly is the other flasher again. Under the glove box? Or above the glove box? Or somewhere else?
Also, is the turn signal flasher the same as the round one for the 4-ways?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

On my 88 there is one flaser on the front of the fuse panel and one beind the fuse panel. This may not be the correct location because my car has be hacked to hell and back.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

look under the dash for a round canister like the one on the fuse panel. once you find it, you have to rotate and push it to remove it from the slot it is mounted in. don't honestly know if they are the same or not. the side flashing fast means the flasher is the wrong size for the service and the side that don't flash usually means a bulb is burned out, so check the bulbs first on that side both front and back. it could also be that side of the wrong size flasher already burnt out and the other side will go soon too flashing fast like that burns them up.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Found that son of a bitch!!!

Took the advice of my father-in-law who said (get this), turn on the turn signal, and while it's making noise, locate it under the dash. When he said that, I was like-DOH!! A simple trick like this, for something that seems so complicated [:@] Anyways, I did that, and I found the darn thing up under the dash. It was over towards the passenger's side, above the center hump for the tranny. If you're sitting in the driver's seat, and if you were able to "see" thru the **** for the AC/heat selector (one way to the right), it's behind this ****. As if it wasn't bad enough they hid the blasted thing so well, they even mounted it securely to a piece of metal. It's pressed fit with a plastic nub sticking out from the case (case is also made of plastic), so you literally have to use some force to push it up and out. The plastic case cracked on mine, that's how bad it's stuck in there. Put a normal one in it's place, and everything's hunky-dorey now
Still, you gotta wonder why the engineers think of these stupid things. It's almost like they WANT to make it miserable for mechanics.[:@]
BTW-here's a pic of the miserable flasher. Notice the nub, which is pressed into metal under the dash.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Glad you found it and got it fixed man, but I thought everybody knew already to turn it on and listen for the clicking in order to find it, so I didn't mention doing that in my post to you. good thing you listened to your father-in-law and now you've learned a valuable lesson-use your ears and your eyes when looking for something that makes a noise. lol
Old 04-15-2004, 08:41 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

but I thought everybody knew already to turn it on and listen for the clicking in order to find it,
Umm, yeah. I guess we all have our not-so-smart days, huh?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:53 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thericerdicer

I can't believe no one has suggested this yet, so I guess it's up to me.

Have you checked your blinker fluid?[sm=smiley36.gif]
thats headlight fluid, and halogen is better...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 PM
91GTRI

I'm trying to find my flasher on my 91, I tried the trick of listening, but the flasher is dead so there is nothing to hear! I'm going to try finding it behind the fan switch, I tried looking up from under the dash already, and can't see anything. Let you know how I make out
Old 07-28-2004, 10:21 PM
91GTRI

found the flasher right where nhdungeonracer said it would be!! I was a little smarter though. After trying to lean under the dash and get it for a minute, I undid the glove compartment door, reached in, pulled it out of its mount, and then installed the new one! Took a total of 5 min. Thanks for posting the tip where to find it, cause I never would have looked over there. lol

Quick Reply: Can anyone help with turn signals?