5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Main Crankshaft Bearings...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:08 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Main Crankshaft Bearings...?

well if you have experience taking apart engines its pretty easy. you'll have to obviously put the engine on a stand and flip it upside down. take the pan off take the pickup out. take the main caps off and throw out the bearings. remember to mark which cap goes to where, its essential that you dont get them out of order. you'll have to takw the harmonic ballencer off too, before you take off the main caps. pull the crank out. pull the rest of the bearings out. clean everything up real good. I just use brake cleaner and a rag. you'll need some ..the blue stuff. i cant remember what its called. but you put your new bearings in the block put a little line of the blue stuff on each bearing, set the crank down on the bearings. put the other bearings in the caps and torque them down. i like to put the blue stuff on the bearings in the cap too. let it sit for about 2 minutes and take it back apart. take the smashed blue stuff and compare it to the measurement on the packaging. i cant remember what that stuff is called but its right on the tip of my tongue. its the stuff you use to measure the clearence to the bearings. if everything checks out good put some motor oil on each bearing, set the crank down, put some oil on the caps and put them on and torque em down. then put the rest back together. its not too bad, but i've done it a few times before. oh yeah, you'll have to either take the pistons out or figure a out a way to keep them set in there. since you're replacing main bearings and gonna have the rod caps off you might want to replace the rod bearings too. that'll just save you some time and give you a piece of mind about your bottom end
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

well if you have experience taking apart engines its pretty easy. you'll have to obviously put the engine on a stand and flip it upside down. take the pan off take the pickup out. take the main caps off and throw out the bearings. remember to mark which cap goes to where, its essential that you dont get them out of order. you'll have to takw the harmonic ballencer off too, before you take off the main caps. pull the crank out. pull the rest of the bearings out. clean everything up real good. I just use brake cleaner and a rag. you'll need some ..the blue stuff. i cant remember what its called. but you put your new bearings in the block put a little line of the blue stuff on each bearing, set the crank down on the bearings. put the other bearings in the caps and torque them down. i like to put the blue stuff on the bearings in the cap too. let it sit for about 2 minutes and take it back apart. take the smashed blue stuff and compare it to the measurement on the packaging. i cant remember what that stuff is called but its right on the tip of my tongue. its the stuff you use to measure the clearence to the bearings. if everything checks out good put some motor oil on each bearing, set the crank down, put some oil on the caps and put them on and torque em down. then put the rest back together. its not too bad, but i've done it a few times before.
~~~plastigauge???
Old 05-10-2006, 03:12 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

YES! i dunno why i couldnt think of it tonight. i forgot about the pistons too until i re read it its been along day i guess
Old 05-10-2006, 03:13 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

If it needs crank bearing, I can guarantee the crank is junk and needs to be turned, just thinking your gonna slap in some 002-005 thou bearings is a dream in lala land.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

thats true too. he'll probably have to get some OD bearings and have his crank turned. although once, i put bearings in my 86 regal and didnt have to get the crank turned. i dunno how that happened though
Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

thats true too. he'll probably have to get some OD bearings and have his crank turned. although once, i put bearings in my 86 regal and didnt have to get the crank turned. i dunno how that happened though
9 times out of 10, especially being a mustang thats been ridden hard the crank is wacked. BUT most definately one could throw in a bearing a few thou tighter and ride into the wind without turning the crank. In those cases, its typically cause the bearings are worn and oil pressure took a nose dive, but in a mustang, I bet the crank is hurt, only one way to find out
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

yeah. i think i'd be doing a whole rebuild. but if it doesnt need it id just get the crank turned, get main bearings, and rod bearings. if the main bearings are going then i think its safe to say the rod bearings are soon to follow.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

very safe bet
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
347Stroker Cougar
2nd Gear Member

The old man that owns it has never drove it hard so hopefully crank isn't junk. I just need the 302 in it to last me for about 2-3 weeks while I get my 408 stroker all built and a new tranny to drop in it.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 347Stroker Cougar

The old man that owns it has never drove it hard so hopefully crank isn't junk. I just need the 302 in it to last me for about 2-3 weeks while I get my 408 stroker all built and a new tranny to drop in it.
I never seen a mustang that wasnt driven hard, something contributed to the crank bearing issue, broken oil pump shaft? (likely) consistent low oil levels?(likely) among many other factors. Have you heard it run and saw the oil pressure? Does it run? If not I would bet the crank is junk. Just my 2cents

Quick Reply: Main Crankshaft Bearings...?