5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood

its always someone else aint it? a freind of mine was checking my oil when it happened and didnt get it down good. it was hard to shut with the new hood. you had to check it when you slammed it to make sure it shut. at least with pins, you know its shut though.
ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

lol, THat sucks pretty bad. When it happened to me I wasn't in my car, thank God. I was with a friend and she was driving. Her car died so she called me to come help her, and after we got it running again I told her to shut the hood while I was putting the stuff back in my truck. So we got in the car to make sure it was going to run ok and we're going about 50 mph when the hood starts to rise slowly...I was just like...oh ****, this is bad. Next thing you know it flies up and smashes the whole windshield. She started screaming so I just grabbed the wheel and told her to step on the brake gently and slow down...Thankfully there wasn't anyone in front of us. That was enough excitement for one night.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Your right... it is always someone else. With mine it was my uncle. I actually wasnt even driving... I was working on the car and he wanted to go for a ride. I told him to shut the hood and hop in. He shut it but never put the pins in and we drove away. After about 50 ft down the road it came up... its OK though because I didnt feel like such an idiot since I could blame it on someone else
Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Aaronic

Thanks guys....

Found some nice hood pins locally for around 50 bucks and I will finally be able to drive without worrying about my hood!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Your lock isnt enganging on the bottom latch. Typically this is due to the cable being stuck in the open position. Grab the handle inside your car and pull it back and forth a couple times then push it foward until it stops. Make sure the hood is completely open when you do this and then try to close it.

ORIGINAL: Aaronic

Thanks guys....

Found some nice hood pins locally for around 50 bucks and I will finally be able to drive without worrying about my hood!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Aaronic

No, the latch is fine... I even got a new latch for free in case the old one is broken. The guy who had the car before me screwed with it because he had a fiberglass hood on there. If I completely replaced the latch and the connector at the top of the hood I may possibly be able to get it to shut.

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Your lock isnt enganging on the bottom latch. Typically this is due to the cable being stuck in the open position. Grab the handle inside your car and pull it back and forth a couple times then push it foward until it stops. Make sure the hood is completely open when you do this and then try to close it.

ORIGINAL: Aaronic

Thanks guys....

Old 05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

so if you push down on the bottom metal latch it locks?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Aaronic

Yup.

If someone would show me a close-up of the hood where it hits the latch and a close-up of the latch I may be able to fix it without buying the pins...

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

so if you push down on the bottom metal latch it locks?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

its a bad call to even take a chance with trying to fix it. once something goes wrong with them theres always a chance.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Aaronic

So you recommend just going with hood pins? I just want to be up and running ASAP.

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

its a bad call to even take a chance with trying to fix it. once something goes wrong with them theres always a chance.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

regular hood or not, go with hood pins. $30 is nothing compaired to hundreds of dollars of damage when your hood pops up on you. I say just do it. I dont even have a hood latch on my hood, its not needed because of the hood pins.

Buy pins, take out all the latches and your set. Like said above, even if you fix it, it still might come up on you. I wouldnt chance it!

Quick Reply: Hood