5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a list of stuff to add to increase MPG.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a list of stuff to add to increase MPG.

gears get you better gas mileage if you drive like a granny... then again, why would you buy gears and drive like a granny?!

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

nah nobodys crying im not lookign for good gas mileage just looking to increase mpg. i get about 17 roughly, dont know why. at 70 mph im turning right under 2k rpms stock gears? or aftermarket? also, i have to put premium which is what kills me, i cant run anything other then 93 octane. and i wouldnt drive a honda if it was given to me.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 AM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

nah nobodys crying im not lookign for good gas mileage just looking to increase mpg. i get about 17 roughly, dont know why. at 70 mph im turning right under 2k rpms stock gears? or aftermarket? also, i have to put premium which is what kills me, i cant run anything other then 93 octane. and i wouldnt drive a honda if it was given to me.
[sm=dontgetit.gif]

why do you have to fill up with premium? have you advanced your timing? oh and i agree with the honda thing.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

i dunno when i got the car the people said if you put the cheap gas in it itll spark knock(which i have no clue what that means) and ive never tried 89 plus i want nothing but the best for my car and the highest i can get here is 93, if i could id get 97. i guess my timing was messed with but my dad tuned it by ear.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

i dunno when i got the car the people said if you put the cheap gas in it itll spark knock(which i have no clue what that means) and ive never tried 89 plus i want nothing but the best for my car and the highest i can get here is 93, if i could id get 97. i guess my timing was messed with but my dad tuned it by ear.
Set your timing to 10*, and you can run 89--maybe even 87.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncksnapper

i wasnt trying to be a dick, im saying you cant get better gas mileage and keep the same hp and tq, besides ITS A V8 these cars dont get to good of gas mileage when you have mods and stuff so alls i was saying is if you want good gas mileage dont drive a mustang with a v8 whats so hard for you to understand this? if you want to be gas conscious and still drive a mustang buy a 4 cyl or a v6
This is the most truthful thing said in this thread. All the mods you listed will actually decrease fuel mileage. Even something like a K&N filter decreases fuel mileage.

Think about it: You're getting more air into the engine, then the engine has to put more fuel to that air to keep the same air/fuel ratio.

If you want fuel mileage, make it 100% stock, and put donuts on it for tires.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

i like my 23mpg slow stang
Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

There goes that fairy tale out the door![:@]

Next thing your going to tell me theres no such thing as santy claus?

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

ORIGINAL: ncksnapper

i wasnt trying to be a dick, im saying you cant get better gas mileage and keep the same hp and tq, besides ITS A V8 these cars dont get to good of gas mileage when you have mods and stuff so alls i was saying is if you want good gas mileage dont drive a mustang with a v8 whats so hard for you to understand this? if you want to be gas conscious and still drive a mustang buy a 4 cyl or a v6
This is the most truthful thing said in this thread. All the mods you listed will actually decrease fuel mileage. Even something like a K&N filter decreases fuel mileage.

Think about it: You're getting more air into the engine, then the engine has to put more fuel to that air to keep the same air/fuel ratio.

If you want fuel mileage, make it 100% stock, and put donuts on it for tires.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:27 AM
5.0_PR
1st Gear Member

I beat the tar out of my car everyday in first and second gear at every stoplight... and I get between 18-20.

I am fully tuned up, and run 87. The higher the octane, the faster it burns. Higher octane = less mileage.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0_PR

I beat the tar out of my car everyday in first and second gear at every stoplight... and I get between 18-20.

I am fully tuned up, and run 87. The higher the octane, the faster it burns. Higher octane = less mileage.
No, the higher the octane, the colder it burns

Quick Reply: a list of stuff to add to increase MPG.