5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OK now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:18 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default OK now what?

I got all my vacume leaks fixed replaced fuel pump and filter tried a diff distributor. My car still has a detonation issue and the timing is set to 12 degrees. What the hell is the issue? I have removed the belt to make sure it was not any of the accessories also. I only run 93 octane in it I am so confused. And to add the balancer has not slipped and giving false reading either just to rule that out.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OK now what?

huh,,,,thats one id rather be there to hear....know what i mean? if its not your timing than another probable cause is carbon buildup in cylinders. this metal, black colored buildup can get red hot causing the mixture to preignight. does it happen cold running and hot? if so,,,your timing IS NOT correct...
Old 05-13-2006, 06:03 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

It does it hot or cold doesnt matter. I have taken a bore scope and ran in the cylinder on a few and they were all clean and pretty looking. I wonder if maybe the 02 sensors are going bad causeing it to lean out, or if their location is causeing the issue. When i bought the car it already had long tube headers on it. But the kicker is the bung for the sensors are not in the collectors picking up all cylinders. They are in a single tube about 3-4 inches before the collector. I am considering replacing the sensors and headers both. Hopefully correct this issue but was hopeful someone would give me a different answer to what it might be other than what i think.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

If it does it cold or hot, the O2's might not be the cause....to be sure, you could disconnect them (force system to run in open loop mode) and check how it does.....I would also make sure the readings from the ACT sensor are within specs.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

A bad egr can cause that too
Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i was considering the egr but wasnt to sure about it. My brother is a machinist at a local shop and he is in the process of making me a spacer plate to delete the egr. I have a dummy sensor ordered should be here soon I hope. Once i actually get my hands on the plate I will post some pics he might be willing to make more if initerested. It will be 2" alluminum (spelling) plate I pray it turns out nice.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:47 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

You making a new spacer? Not just a delete plate...that will be cool. Maybe I should make one for myself...I deleted my egr and just made a delete plate. I didn't use a simulator either if you are interested on know how to get by that...
Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I know you can remove the sensor from the egr an tape the pushrod or whatever it is like a 1/4 the way in or something of sorts. But i am after getting rid of all the sh8t.

Yes its gonna be a whole new spacer just an aluminum block with a big hole in the middle and four bolt holes one in each corner.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:13 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Cool, you should post a picture when you are done. Good luck...hope it will fix your problem
Old 05-14-2006, 03:22 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I will and me too