5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No Brights

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default No Brights

Well my lighthing woes continue...

I have no bright lights. The indicator in the dash also does not come on, either. I found the wire for the brights, though. There is hot lead in the column, although I'm not sure what for, and when I plug it into that lead, the bright lights and the indicator stay on constantly, and I can't turn them off. So, I assume that's not where they belong. There is also a plug on the left side of the column that goes to the multi-function switch, but there are no slots on that plug that are big enough to fit the spade for the brights. There is one more plug on the column, the one on the top. Does that have the slot that I need? It would figure because you can't get that one out without removing the dash, it's too big. I can't fit my mirror up far enough to see if there is a slot to fit the bright lights...but there has to be because there are NO other plugs anywhere on the column that the spade will fit into. This is a serious pain in the ***...Any help?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:25 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: No Brights

Did it come un plugged some how or are you thinking about splicing into a hot wire? I guessing you have a bad switch....I would look into testing that first
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

The switch works because my signals work, and it's the same switch. It must have come unplugged, it's two wires with a spade soldered on the end. I can't find any slots on any of the plugs on the column that will fit it except for the one hot one, and I can't have my brights being on the entire time.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

That switch has multiple functions and multiple switches...I would still look into the switch. Hook that wire up and put a switch on that to turn them on and off.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:53 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Even if it is the switch...I can't find the slot where the high beam spade is supposed to go. There are two plugs that go to the multifunction switch, one on the left side of the column and one on the top. Do you know which one of the plugs the high beam wire is supposed to go to?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i have to ask but have u checked the bulbs? it possible for the brights only to burn out since there is two seperate elements!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

yeah bulbs are a possibility, but not likely if both just Stop working at the same time.

the multi-function switch is probably bad. if you've already got the column apart, its only a couple more screws or small bolts to get the multi-function switch off of the column. see how the connector looks on it. when i had my 87, the connector burnt up, and the plastic was all brown/black. same as the headlight switch in the dash :P

edit:: forgot to say --- i didn't go buy a new multifunction switch, i went to radioshack and bought a 2-way switch for $.60 and wired it between the hot wire that i think you found in the column, and the headlight signal wire ~~~ i had headlights again!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

The bulbs are fine...Like I said in my original post, the lights work when I hook them up to power. I just have to find the right slot to plug them into, which nobody seems to know the location of.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Has nobody ever done this before?? LoL
Old 05-14-2006, 05:07 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

I guess I'll be buying a wiring diagram...

Quick Reply: No Brights