5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My girl is too fat!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My girl is too fat!!

"With one flick of the wrist...the roof will go poof!"

lol

Yea I was wondering about the same. My vert is a pig! 4300lbs stock! Plus me and whatever else I have in it.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

thats only 15lb or so. not much. fiberglass fenders fit like **** and will never look as good as a metal fender.

ORIGINAL: primetime5.0

remove the fog lights and all the supporting stuff
Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

[quote]Already took out jack and tire, have amp and speakers now.[/quote]
How much does all that stuff weigh? Ditch all that shyt, do you want fast or "sounds fancy" You can't remove much without affecting looks or comfort.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ikeybmg

fuel cell. drop the heavy gas tank. good weight reduct too.
You can drop the tank but the tank is really not that heavy at all. Also, the best way to lose weight is to redu your suspension... it will reduce tons of weight and also give you better performance at the track/street, etc. You can also shed some weight by going with racing seats instead of them oh so heavy GT seats, aluminum driveshaft, etc.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

How much would one invest in a pretty good suspension upgrade?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:17 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

It really depends on what company you go with. If you do all the weight saving mods (tubular k member, a arms, etc. etc. you can spend a nice chuck of change.... especially if you go with a company like Maximum Motorsports.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

You could also remove the sound deadening stuff under the carpet, if you scrap all of it off itll remove like 20 lbs. if not more. Also rear discs would shave some weight, racing seats, all tubular stuff k member a arms, drop your a/c and p/s (youll need a manual rack), remove power windows in place of manual crank, also Ive heard that removing the ground fx will drop a lot of weight, also replaceing the bumpers with aluminum ones off of a '79 probably shave some more.... all I can think of for now....1 more thing aluminum heads will drop you something like 20lbs per head, remove your cat pipe in place of a off road h or x pipe, take out stock muffs for some flows..
-P.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

You could also remove the sound deadening stuff under the carpet, if you scrap all of it off itll remove like 20 lbs. if not more. Also rear discs would shave some weight, racing seats, all tubular stuff k member a arms, drop your a/c and p/s (youll need a manual rack), remove power windows in place of manual crank, also Ive heard that removing the ground fx will drop a lot of weight, also replaceing the bumpers with aluminum ones off of a '79 probably shave some more.... all I can think of for now....1 more thing aluminum heads will drop you something like 20lbs per head, remove your cat pipe in place of a off road h or x pipe, take out stock muffs for some flows..
-P.
Alot of stuff what you said is true BUT IMO its not worth it to tear up your whole interior for 15lbs of sound deadenor (cant spell). Also, ps and ac are also two huge things but I didnt not recommend them because most people are not willing to remove them. Also, the GT ground effects are very light. I dont know why people think that they are so heavy. The rear bumper might be 5lbs heavier than an LX and the front are prob the same and the side skirts are about 5lbs (both of them). And he already has aluminum heads...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

i second 88BlueGT on the GT ground effects. i've taken the front and rear bumper off and they weighed less than some honda bumpers i've removed.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I meant the bumper underneath the bumper covers. The reinforment bar, absorber and whatever else is under there definitly weigh more than the aluminum '79-'81/'82 bumper which is roughly 15lbs. I noticed that he had alum. heads after I posted. And I think that people thought that the GT package weighed more because an LX of the same year is about 700lbs. less. and 5lbs for side skirts ......I call BS, maybe more like 10-15each, thats also including the bracing stuff under them.
And aside from that he was asking where he could shave weight without compromising looks and performance, not how much work it takes to remove the weight, besides Ive heard that on hatchbacks removing all of the sound deadening stuff removed UP TO 45 lbs. I imagine that includes the sound deadening fromunder all the platic on the pillars and what not.
-P.

Quick Reply: My girl is too fat!!