5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

350 in Rustang.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

Default 350 in Rustang.

Before you guys jump all over me and flame me 'till i'm crisp...let me expalin my story....

I am currently in possesion of an 87 Rustang LX 4 banger and a 73 chev P/U (bondo and pop rivet edition). Since I received these heaps for next to nothing I would like to play around with them a bit. The car isn't really worth sinking a lot of money into but I do have plenty of time. The chev truck has a decent enough 350 and turbo 350 tranny and I would like to swap the tranny and engine into my mustang. The swap in itself is not my delemma as I have all the nessesary tools, welders etc. What I do not have is a measurement for the placement of the engine. I would like to position it as close as I can to where an original 5.0 would sit in the engine bay. I'm not concerned with height as I am planning on placing the engine as low as possible to lower the center of gravity. What I need to know is how far the front cylinder head of a 5.0 sits from firewall. Since you guys all have 5.0's could one or two of you take out a tape measure and let me know the results. I would really appreciate it.

PS..if someone coujld give me the lenght measurement of a 5.0 head it would help me in fine tuning the engine placement as well...

..cheers
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 350 in Rustang.

anyone??
Old 05-30-2006, 01:45 AM
wheelliftnpony
3rd Gear Member

i duno but bro ur gana make a lot of ford guys not happy but i origanly use to be a camaro guy as i owned 2 of them but i could never get them to run like my pony's i got now... them chevy motors just cant beat a tricked pony
Old 05-30-2006, 01:47 AM
wheelliftnpony
3rd Gear Member

hey if no ones posted the mesurment by tmw ill get them but right now its like 12 clock.. but tommaorw if u still dont know ill get them for u of my gt well mm i wonder if differnt heads are differnt lentghs???.. cuz i got aluminum trick flow track heat's on my cars
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

ok number one, calling a mustang a rustang isnt cool around here...

and a bowtie hunk of garbage under the hood, thats just sick.
every mustang deserves better.

with your circumstances, its not so bad, but those guys that take 30's ford coupes, and throw chev engines into them
just because of the overpopular, SBC, almost brings a tear to my eye.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

chevy motor in a ford chassis is considered cruel and unusual punishment and is unconstitutional!

This can be found in the eight amendment in the U.S. Constitution

Have A Nice Day!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Black_Syth

ORIGINAL: boss429

ok number one, calling a mustang a rustang isnt cool around here...

and a bowtie hunk of garbage under the hood, thats just sick
every mustang deserves better.

with your circumstances, its not so bad, but those guys that take 30's ford coupes, and throw chev engines into them
just because of the overpopular, SBC, almost brings a tear to my eye.
As much fun as I'm having with building my Foxbody, I can't help but think that you're way too sensitive about the subject due to the amounts of blind faith and love you've invested in some corporation.

Also, in reply to the original post, sorry I can't be of help, but I say do it. (Although I wouldn't, because the complications from going 80s Ford to 70s Chevy. It'll suck.) It might be interesting, though, because it's unique, it's a pretty standard engine (because GM puts it in everything), and I'm sure that you can find a pretty copious amount of performance parts and ridiculous **** for the 350.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:52 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

I'll throw my blind faith where i see fit.

but its definitely not towards ford motor company.

that faith is anything but blind
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

You are probably gonna want to rebuild the 350(if its mid 70s its a smogger. Smogger=teh junkerer) and get your hands on a bolt in 9 inch Ford rear end with 32 spline axle kit. I cant find the link to save my life, but it just bolts in. Would be great for this operation of yours.

Good luck though! I honestly dont LIKE putting non-Ford into Ford, Ford into non-Ford, etc. But if you actually do it, this would be a sweet project.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

I'm not trying to start a riot....I do appreciate the input...even the sarcasm....DID I MENTION that the mustang has a wonderful non-functional 2.3L in it!!! and is pretty much headed to the dump anyhow, one of my buddies says It can't be done I just want to let him know that it can. I personally think it is easier to get the 350 in it than to put a 5.0 in it. With either engine i have to redo the exhaust engine/trany mounts etc. Cripes I can just imagine what a nightmare it would be to get the non functional hack job wiring in the car now to work with a 5.0 using what is left of my ford ignition and computer. I would literally have to rewire the entire car. All that is required electrically for the 350 to run is one friggin wire from the ignition key to the bloody HEI distributor. With the HEI everything is containted in the distributor and CAP. No crapy worn out electric fuel pump to worry about either. No strand me on the highway fuel in(re)jection either. I'll bypass everything else in the stang. The driveshaft is a different matter. I'll have to hybrid one but I do have access to a lathe.

I'll just paint the damn engine blue and leave the Moroso valve covers on it and nobody will notice the difference anyway. Because the dizzy is at the back of the engine, I'll just say it has a 351 Cleveland in it.

What about all those aftermarket "ford" engines from Keith Black, Edelbrock ETC...they aren't exactly made by ford...but it's perfectly allright to use em.

Besides, the power doesnt actually come from ford or chevy...it's more like "Powered by EXXon/Mobil"

As soon as I figure out how to include pics in the post I will post some.

....cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350 in Rustang.