5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Am I an Idiot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Am I an Idiot??

ORIGINAL: Aaronic

****ing totalled my 87 5.0 GT last night.

Tell me if this is completely my fault...

First of all I was running some 17x10 inch tires all around and the road was wet but it was not raining

I am going pretty slow and then the road opens up so I downshift to 2nd gear and hit almost red-line then I press the clutch, shift to third, and then release the clutch without revving up the engine. Then the car starts to fishtail and I lose control and smash into another car.

I assume what went wrong was that the engine needed to be around 3-4k RPMs and usually on dry pavement the tires would have gripped and brought the engine up to speed, but since it was wet out the back tires just completely lost control. I've only had the car a week and its my first time owning a RWD car but I am pretty sure if I pressed the clutch immediately when I started losing it I probably could have re-gained control.

Am I a complete idiot or has anyone else ****ed up like this before?
It sounds like you were spinnning the tires up in 2nd gear. Your actual speed would have made the engine spinning at 4k or so in 2nd if there was traction; not redline. By shifting up another gear and not letting the engine to tire cconnection smoothly re-engaging, you probably shocked the traction even more and lost it. You should have rolled off the gas in 2nd and very easily shifted into 3rd to let the traction come back.
Try to get a good feel for the rpm to road speed relationship in every gear so you can visually tell if you have broken traction. That will help in addition to the seat of the pants feel when it's lost traction (and the audible change; especially in the wet).
Old 05-19-2006, 02:18 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

welcome to RWD
Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Aaronic

ORIGINAL: WizardBlack

It sounds like you were spinnning the tires up in 2nd gear. Your actual speed would have made the engine spinning at 4k or so in 2nd if there was traction; not redline. By shifting up another gear and not letting the engine to tire cconnection smoothly re-engaging, you probably shocked the traction even more and lost it. You should have rolled off the gas in 2nd and very easily shifted into 3rd to let the traction come back.
Try to get a good feel for the rpm to road speed relationship in every gear so you can visually tell if you have broken traction. That will help in addition to the seat of the pants feel when it's lost traction (and the audible change; especially in the wet).

I think I must have been going faster than I previously thought because I definately had traction while I was in second gear I could feel it.

ORIGINAL: ToplessGT

LIABILITY ONLY??!! that is bad man. My buddy ran into a deer and totaled out his 95 gt vert. He was too "poor" to have full. Long story short, he sold what he could for parts and now its a hunk of flatten down metal in a yard someplace. It happened 3 years ago and the tool is still paying on the loan!! NOW THAT WOULD SUCK!! I had full coverage on mine- fixed up, good as new. Insurance is expensive, but you never know when your are going to need it. These days with everybody sue happy, its a must. Hopefully the douche bag doesnt come back at you with a "soar neck and bad back"!!
That is really ****ed up man. I'm planning on doing the same thing with my car and salvaging as much money as possible out of it. Actually that leads to a good question...

How much money could I really expect to get for parts from my Mustang? It has an engine and tranny with just 5k km on each. The body and frame is pretty ****ed in the front right corner and the back right corner is a little banged up. It is a GT and all of the extra GT stuff is all fine except the front bumper.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You could make some decent money if you parted it out but the hard part is going through all of the hassle of doing it ya know... taking the motor out, the trans, the rear, the interior, etc. etc. etc.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Aaronic

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

You could make some decent money if you parted it out but the hard part is going through all of the hassle of doing it ya know... taking the motor out, the trans, the rear, the interior, etc. etc. etc.

How about selling it as a parts car? I paid 3,300 CDN for it, how much could I expect to get?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Are the quarters OK? Frame damage? Rad support? etc.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Aaronic

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Are the quarters OK? Frame damage? Rad support? etc.
Quarters? The Rad is fine... The frame was hit hard from the right side right at the front so it seems the frame is off around the engine bay by 1-3 inches on both sides. Other than that the frame seems fine but I am no expert.

Basically 90% of the car is perfect except a nice hit in the front right (destroying front right fender and front bumper) and a very light hit in the right rear side. Engine wasn't starting but by looking at it I can tell it is a minor problem. It still turns over and everything something is probably just unplugged.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 PM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

quarters = quarter panels = rear fenders (so to speak).

Mark
Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Aaronic

Thanks, that makes sense.

Just got a good idea... I should save the car as a parts car for when I get my next Fox Mustang. That way I have a almost new engine ready to go as soon as I need.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

got any pics of your trashed ride?

Quick Reply: Am I an Idiot??