5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

not lifters thank god, i think lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:13 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

Default not lifters thank god, i think lol

i pulled the intakes off my car, which were extremly dirty inside, any suggestions on cleaning them, anyways pulled it all apart, found out my push rod is pushed out of the hole. the tip that contacs the rocker arm is as flat as a pancake haha.Guess i over reved it or something. My question is should i go ahead and replace the lifters, since i have it all apart. Or should i just replace the push rod(would it be wise to replace all of them, it has 90,000 on the motor). Thanks for all the info the last couple weeks.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:35 AM
arcane73
1st Gear Member

Default RE: not lifters thank god, i think lol

I've always replaced cam and lifters at the same time......It's usually best.
So unless you want to get in that deep....i would pass......of course...if you have to put it down until a cam gets here....
Old 04-08-2004, 02:55 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

i dont have the money at the moment for a cam, im just tyring to get it to run normal again first, i have planned to put a slightly bigger cam in anyways just a matter of a few weeks
Old 04-08-2004, 03:11 AM
arcane73
1st Gear Member

easiest cleaner is oven cleaner IMO...just be sure to test it on a spot first.....and be quick to rinse after it eats off the buildup....
get a replacement pushrod and nurse the car until you get the $$ for the cam swap.....then do it to it! I would call comp or lunati or favorite cams r us and get the price on a full kit.....cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, rockers, cam sprocket and chain, etc......
with 90k on the motor possibly......it wouldn't hurt.....
of course.....a full build would be ideal.....but you can only do what you can....
Hope i helped
Old 04-08-2004, 03:18 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

thanks u did help i lil, i didnt know they soold whole kits with lifters, etc in a pacakage, know of any websites or companies i can go to to get prices on this? that would be a nice help, i think im going to go ahead and get the push rods rplaces as well as the lifters just to be safe for now, when i get around to the package deal, than ill have a spare set for the future. HOw much would these kits be?? any rough price range.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:43 AM
arcane73
1st Gear Member

what you could do is get on the phone and ask for full kit part numbers from each manufacturer....
then call jegs and summit to get prices
here are some numbers...
comp
1-800-999-0853

lunati - owned by holley now
1-270-781-9741

crane cams
1-386-258-6174

Just give each tech line a call and see what they can setup for you....explain what you are doing and they should be able to give you part numbers or kit numbers then call jegs and summit for better prices =)

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...89&prmenbr=361
a link to comp's "k" kits at jegs....complete kit add rockers & pushrods...guessing...$400 - $450 total damage to your wallet
Old 04-08-2004, 10:38 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Is this a roller block?If so theres no reason in hell you should have to replace lifters.

As for the pushrods if you change one change them all!

I dont know about using oven cleaner on the inside of the motor if thats where you meant.You might ask one of these guys about that crap they use to clean their motors inside.

By the way if its cruddy and all dirty inside thats a good sign someone hasnt been doing very good up keep on your motor.Thats sludge and all the crap building up.I would just do a few quick oil changes sooner than usual and go from there.

The only real way to get an engine completely clean and not hurt is to hot tank it but that requires it being disassembled.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
arcane73
1st Gear Member

The oven cleaner is not meant for cleaning vital inside components......cleaning buildup of grime and oil & carbon deposits on non vital stuff is fine.
PLEASE do NOT use it to clean your lifter valley......I hope he catches this.[:@]
And if the lifter cup was ruined from the flat-tipped pushrod riding around in it.....it would be best to ****can it.
Now if it got knocked out of the lifter and didn't hurt the cup....roll with it.....but I'm overly cautious sometimes.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I think he was asking about the grime that's in the runners of the intake manifolds. I know my car has build up inside the mainfold AFTER the EGR valve. Stupid things. All that exhaust gas being put into the intake just built up on the walls. Runs like an absolute champ, though!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

For those who are willing to try, I've seen Kerosene used to flush and clean an assembled engine.

Quick Reply: not lifters thank god, i think lol