5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

***Leaking Coolant*** Just replaced Water Pump.. Some 1 Help Me Asap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Mustang50LX88
1st Gear Member

Default ***Leaking Coolant*** Just replaced Water Pump.. Some 1 Help Me Asap

So yeah I own a 88 Mustang 5.0 and I just replaced the water pump and yesterday I had to take it out again because I guess it wasn't sealed properly, so I resealed it with the Blue RTV Gasket Sealer Sh** and I tested it out at 1st by dumping water into the radiator and it appeared to have no leaks, so then I tried putting the belt back on the tentioner and Had an unfortunate accident that required me to go to the hospital, but thats besides the point, but anyways I wake up this morning to put in anti freeze in the radiator and I hear it dripping but I dont think its comming from the water pump it appears to be sealed, it seems like it's comming from under the crank case like near a pan like thing with little bolts on it... Not sure the exact term, I mean I could be wrong from where it's leaking from but Im not possitive. Please someone help me. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Mustang50LX88
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ***Leaking Coolant*** Just replaced Water Pump.. Some 1 Help Me Asap

Well I figured out where the leak is comming from, it's not comming from near the crank shaft where the drive belt connects to, its comming from the area where the water pump housing is, not the accual water pump itself but where it meets up against the wall part... There is one bolt the bottom one that goes from the A/C compressor bracket to the bolt that goes thru the water pump, that it's bolting in, it's like I have to push it in and then try to bolt it in to get it 2 work... I don't know what to do now... If I take it to a garage how much roughly is it gonna cost to get it fix?? Is it an expensive job?? Please help, any info would be great.. Thanks guy's hope 2 hear from you. Later.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: ***Leaking Coolant*** Just replaced Water Pump.. Some 1 Help Me Asap

Some of the bolts need thread sealer on them...not thread locker...thread sealer.. they go into the water jackets..
Old 05-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Mustang50LX88
1st Gear Member

I used Teflon Tape on most of the bolts, and they worked great on the others, Im going to try teflon tape on that bolt that I seem to be having a problem with, do u recommend that or should I go out and buy thread sealer? Thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mustang50LX88

I used Teflon Tape on most of the bolts, and they worked great on the others, Im going to try teflon tape on that bolt that I seem to be having a problem with, do u recommend that or should I go out and buy thread sealer? Thanks
I used some "paste" type stuff, I think it was made by locktite pr permatex. Comes in a little white tube, like liquid teflon of some ****..
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Liegekiller

I have never had to use sealer on my bolts so if you do and it fixes it then you are masking the problem. Are you saying that the bolt or bolt hole treads are not grabing as soon as they should or that maybe you have some stripped threads???? If your threads are stripped in the block then you should use a tap and die and install a heli coil or if it is the bolt just replace that.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Mustang50LX88
1st Gear Member

Problem finally solved... I did what u said grimace5.0 I used that thread sealer stuff, and yes loc-tight does make it, and it does come in a little white tube, and it worked just great man. But before I put the bolt back on, I cleaned out the hole where the bolt goes thru, there was a bunch of brown gunky Sh** in there and that is the reason why the bolt wouldn't grab. So I cleaned it out with a screw driver, put the thread sealer on the bolt, and it bolted right up, then I just added water instead of coolant since it's not winter time I heard u can use water. Started the car right up and no sign off leaks or drips... I want to thank you all for posting here and helping me solve the problem, u guy's rock! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 05-20-2006, 05:02 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Never use pure water!!!!! The coolant also contains rust-prevention.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Mustang50LX88
1st Gear Member

I was debating that, Im acually going outside right now and drain the water and fill it with anti-freeze... I should of known better... atleast it isn't too late that it would cause any major damage, so Im going to correct the problem right now... Later.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:43 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

I would've also used the orange hi-temp RTV not the blue.

Quick Reply: ***Leaking Coolant*** Just replaced Water Pump.. Some 1 Help Me Asap