5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can I do this? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default Can I do this? Please help.

Hey guys and gals, I just had a quick question for all of you. I've been currently having problems with my cooling system and have been overheating. My fan sucks but I already have the replacement so I'm not to worried about that BUT my question was that I have a 180* thermostat that I haven't put in my car yet but my friend is telling me to just running open (or no) thermostat. Being down in here in Florida he said that we really don't need it because all it does is help the engine warm up faster in cold weather. I was just wondering have any of you all heard anything along these lines before? And if so, is it safe to do on our cars? Thanks for any help that you can give.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I do this? Please help.

well, i think you would want one, even without it might run a little hot....just thhink, the coolant is curculating all the time and deosn't have enoguh time to cool down in the Rad, i think it would be best to keep it in. Engines are designed to run at a proper temperature!..just my 0.02
Old 05-20-2006, 12:30 PM
driver187
2nd Gear Member

i've ran derby cars and so has my family, family has been driving them for 45+ years and never run thrmostat and nver overheat till somone plows rad and you lose coolant so i say ditch it but if you must run a thermostat get lowest one posible i run a 160 in mine but im also in indiana i need my heat
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

But doesn't the coolant need to time in the radiator to cool down again? See this is why I'm confused. If the coolant is going to be constantly flowing I really don't think that it would have time to cool down fast enough. I mean I have a big radiator so it wouldn't circulate as fast BUT it still doesn't seem like it would be enough time. I really don't overheat while on the highway, of course, this is more through stop and go traffic. And that's what concerns me. Because if I don't have highway speed air flow rushing through the radiator I really don't think the coolant would cool nearly fast enough.

Please more feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

run a themastat. yes it will flow to fast and not cool down to its full potential.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: FoxRod

But doesn't the coolant need to time in the radiator to cool down again? See this is why I'm confused. If the coolant is going to be constantly flowing I really don't think that it would have time to cool down fast enough. I mean I have a big radiator so it wouldn't circulate as fast BUT it still doesn't seem like it would be enough time. I really don't overheat while on the highway, of course, this is more through stop and go traffic. And that's what concerns me. Because if I don't have highway speed air flow rushing through the radiator I really don't think the coolant would cool nearly fast enough.

Please more feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
You are 100% right on with your thinking. You could run a restrictor, Jegs/Summit sells them and the hole is different sizes to allow you vary the flow rate of the coolant, or just try a 160* stat. I assume you have a fan shroud and the rest of the system is up to par?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

^^^ i also say try a 160
Old 05-20-2006, 01:20 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

^^^160 is the way to go .... unless your motor has mods over 350 hp and runs hard alot i.e. racing
Old 05-20-2006, 01:25 PM
1stStang
2nd Gear Member

I would try replacing the thermostat first, it might not be opening up to it's full potential after numerous years of operation. I never would recommend to anyone to run without a thermostat. Another option, since you live in a high temp environment, would be to have the radiator flushed. Remember, these cars are getting older and deposits build up inside the radiator cooling passages. If this doesn't work and the engine still runs hot, try a high flow water pump or aluminum radiator.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Well I changed the water pump not too long ago and I have an aluminum 3 core radiator and I'm going to be putting in my Mark VIII fan hopefully next week so the rest of the cooling system is up to par, (with the exception of the heater core is leaking, but will be bypassing next week as well)

Quick Reply: Can I do this? Please help.