5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with some stuff....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Default help with some stuff....

Im replacing my clutch soon, what else should I do, throwout bearings? syncros? Is it hard to replace the clutch? will I be able to do it myself? And last question, how do I make my clutch pedal shorter? so its not so long, most imporst the clutch pedal is only...4inchs or so..mine is like 9....adjustable clutch cable? Just help my out with a clutch install please, thanks alot
Old 05-20-2006, 06:49 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: help with some stuff....

if the clutch doesnt come with one buy a pilot bearing, how old is your tranny fluid?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

a 5.0 clutch install isn't too hard to do if you have some descent mechanical skills. remove the shifter ****/boot and plate on the inside and remove the whole shifter to make things easier (could be a good time to install a new shifter). get the car in the air on good jack stands, take all the bolts out of the bell housing and drop the driveshaft, unplug any wires/speedo cable/clutch cable and get a good jack under the tranny and take the transmission crossmember out drop the tranny down so you can get to the clutch. You'll have to slide the trans toward the rear of the car so the input shaft will come out of the motor. After that you will see everything you need to take apart and put back togather the same way. If you have the cash you might want to get your flywheel checked out (if you've beat on the clutch alot), or just clean it up real good with some brake cleaner. Get a good clutch kit with pressure plate/throwout bearing, and inspect your clutch fork for any warpage/bending to make sure it's still in good shape. Once you get the tranny out, most everything is self explanatory, just put everything back the way you took it off, and some people say to use new bolts, but i did mine with the old bolts no problems. While you got the tranny apart from the engine, it may be a good idea to replace the rear seal in your motor since it would be a pain in the *** to drop your tranny again if you spring an oil leak. This was all relatively easy in my 88, and i can't see it being any more difficult in a 94 since they're pretty much the same setup, but you should be ok. If your a bit skeered, grab you a haynes or chiltons manual, and it will tell you step by step what to do and most likely include some pictures to help you in your venture. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

yeah I would say get yourself an adjustable clutch quad. Get a haynes manual, it will tell you how to replace the clutch.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah, make sure you check your tranny fluid and replace any that you lose!! my dad changed the clutch in his 98' gt and forgot to put some fluid back in that he lost and ruined his transmission

edit: +1 to crazyfast. An adjustable cable and quadrant will allow you to put your clutch where you want it so if you want it on the floor, the new cable will help out alot, and not sure on your stang, but mine has a plastic quadrant that is prone to break when driving hard, so these will save you some hassle.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Im sure my tranny fluid is getting pretty old, ive had the car for 10k miles and never replaced it, that wouldnt be causing my clutch to slip would it? probably a super dumb question lol but I have to ask...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

clutch slippage is usually caused by the pads on the clutch being worn down (think about your brake pads, as it's sort of the same thing) low or old fluid will cause noise in your tranny due to gears not being lubed up properly.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

So what would be causing my clutch to be slipping exaclty? I just doesnt seem like the whole clutch needs to be replaced...I think the clutch has been it if for about 20k miles....should I get a new cable or sumthing?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

Typically these pads being worn down is what causes clutches to slip, but it could be your cable being stretched out too far for it to engage properly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32278/0D4330BEF74F4057BAEC901B9DE7B067.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2006, 07:25 PM
88blackCONvert
2nd Gear Member

your flywheel could also have some grime buildup (glazing) that could also cause it to slip, which you would have to get it resurfaced, or clean it real good. Depends on who put the clutch in, and if they checked everything out, or just slapped it in and ran it.

Quick Reply: help with some stuff....