5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some help ASAP. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 AM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Default Need some help ASAP. Please Help.

Hey everyone,

Tonight me and a friend went over to another one of our friends house to see if we could get his car started. I hate to bother all of you but I need a little assistance from any of you that may know more than me. Heres the situation:

The kid stated to us that the Fuel pump wasn't getting power. So we jumped the fuel pump relay and we got it to kick on. So we know the fuel pump is good and that the relay is good as well as the fuel pump being hooked up at the tank. So I opened up my Shop manuel (not Chiltons, but a real shop manuel that is used or was used in dealerships) and found the scimatics (sorry if I spelt that wrong) of the fuel system wiring. According to the book the fuel pump is connected to the EEC. The EEC also has a relay. And we believe we narrowed it down to that relay. I know that a few people have told him to check the inertia switch. Well before we could check the inertia switch we had to make sure the switch was getting power. We used our "Test Light" (ghetto style ) to check to make sure the power was reaching the inertia switch and NO GO. We put the positive to the positive wire and tried to ground out the test light and then flipped the ignition on and no light. SO that leads us to believe that maybe the EEC relay is bad.

This is where you guys come in. I could not find this relay. The EEC box is out and hanging down but I cannot seem to find the Relay for it. In the book it says that it is somewhere under the dash near the EEC box. But the book is for a 91 and his car is an 89. Does someone no exactly where it is on his car? Could I just be that blind and not have seen it or do I have to drop the black box under the dash (I think it has something to do with the a/c).

Please help as much as you can

P.S. Sorry for the LONG post.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some help ASAP. Please Help.

if im not mistake, the eec relay being bad would pretty much make most of the car not function. when you got the fuel pump to kick on did you try to start the car? maybe the pump is getting power and ground and just not pumping gas (pump failure). also, be careful with the EEC. its old, and its not as durable as newer computers. they're very easy to screw up. static discharge from your finger could pretty much destroy it. so be careful with that. as for the EEC relay, no idea where thats at.

try to jumper the pump relay again and try to start the car now that you know it has power. see if it'll pump fuel to the engine.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

I did jump the pump relay and then checked the straighter valve on the fuel rail and it's pumping gas when I do that. So I know that the fuel pump relay is not receiving power and the EEC Relay is what has to be connected to get that. If worse comes to worse we're gonna try to put a manuel switch on for the fuel pump. Does anybody know the best way to do that. I have an idea and the Tech that was with us said he could do it but he's just getting into the field so I wanna make sure he is doing it right as not to screw things up worse than they already are.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

I replaced my EEC relay before it was way above the computer clipped on the body kind of near the dash speaker but my car is a 91 not sure if his is the same.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:03 PM
ballstix
1st Gear Member

I think the Inertia switch cuts fuel off, was he bumped in the back?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Well we tested the power wire going to the inertia switch. We aren't getting any power from those wires so I know that the problem is somewhere before that. Granted the inertia switch could be bad BUT I won't be able to tell that until I can actually get power back there to find out.

1fast, yeah my shop manuel shows that it's like right above the EEC box BUT my manuel is for a 91 as well. When you say it was WAY up there, did you have to take out that black box under the passenger side dash? Not even really sure what that for anyway. Maybe something with the a/c system. But anyway, were you able to get it without removing that or did that have to come out? And it's clipped up there? Maybe that's why I didn't see it. I'll have the kid jump his a$$ in there today and see if he could see anything clipped up there. That relay looks like the same thing as the fuel pump relay under the driver seat right? I ask because I have to explain this over the phone to this kid.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

Yes its clipped to the side of the body.I got mine out with out taking out the black box and its a pain in the *** to get out.you can try to reach it through the glove box too.It looks just like the fuel pump relay.You should hear it click when you turn the key"if the relay's any good"The relay is right above the white plastic cradle that holds the computer.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:49 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Alright bro. Your a HUGE help. I already told the kid to take out the passenger seat and see if he can lay down and look up to see it. I'll let him know that he might need to take that black box out as well. I'll tell him to take out the glove box too to see if he can get it easier that way too.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

ttt