5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine removal questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
NJ93LX

Default Engine removal questions!

Well im getting ready to pull the engine out of my fox , i have drained the fuild , all the bolt ons are off and i just need to know :

1. What is the proper way to remove the motor mounts
2. What are the bolts i need to remove to separate the engine from the tranny
3. Any tips on removal ? I also have a engine leveler to help the process
4. Is installation just like the removal ? Just bolt things back together?
5. O and on the driver side header the sterring shaft goes in between two pipes how do i take care or that? Do i just unbolt the header on that side during the engine extraction or do i have to remove the steering shaft?

Thanks! for the help
Old 05-22-2006, 05:25 PM
83FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine removal questions!

I pulled the engine in my old 83 a couple of times. If you are really worried about install problems, you should take pictures before you remove anything, that way you have references to go back on if your not sure how it goes back together.

1. Not sure if there is a proper way besides just using a large wrench lol.

2. There will be many bolts all around the bell housing connecting the tranny to the motor. These all need to come out. Make sure to put them in a bag, and mark the bag with a sharpie pen or something, so that you dont lose them. You dont want to have to replace them later. Also, check the bolts to make sure they are reusable. They arent engine head bolts, which shouldnt be reused, but you definitely should check for cracks, rust, etc... The starter will need to be removed as well.

3. removal can be very simple if you do it right. One thing would be to unbolt the driveline from the rear end and the tranny from the tranny mount (dont remove the driveline from the tranny if you dont have to, it will be messy if you do). You will want to do this because it will make it easier to pull the engine if the tranny shaft is not inside the motor at the time of removal.

I have never used an engine leveler before, but if you have two people it is easy. Just have one person check clearences while the other uses the engine hoist.

4. Install is not that bad, especially on carbed mustangs. When first dropping the engine back in, be sure to drop it into the motor mounts first before anything else, and then begin installing a few of those tranny bolts back in. Do not tighten all the bolts one at time though. This may cause alignment issues with other bolts. Try to get all the bolts just started and in place before you fully tighten anything.

5. When I removed my engine, I left the exhaust in place. I learned from mistake that bolting and unbolting the collectors and the gaskets from your headers to exhaust causes leaks. This is my best recommendation. You can get the engine out without the headers. Remove the sparkplugs though, otherwise you will surely break them when putting the motor back in. Another quick thing, with headers (not sure if you have ever installed them) you will want to follow the same example as with the tranny. Begin all bolts into the block, but dont tighten them fully until they are all in place. Header bolts on foxes tend to be knuckle busters and sometimes can only be turned a quarter turn at a time with a wrench.

You will find mistakes along the way, but they will be minor (like breaking plugs). Just remember to keep all the items you removed in order otherwise you end up with a bucket of bolts. Then when you finish install, you have 4 extra bolts that you dont know where they go! Boy thats funny to tell your friends over a couple of beers, but not when something breaks beacause of it.

Good luck with the engine removal
Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 PM
NJ93LX

Default RE: Engine removal questions!

Great thanks for the help hopefully this weekend ill go in to surgery

good thing my 306 is carbed !