5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do mustangs drive in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do mustangs drive in snow?

Drives just about as good as any other RWD powerful car. Last time I had her in the snow...I had to drive with the wheel at either 10 or 2 because the *** end would just slide out from underneath me. It was a blast! Oh yea...don't even think about giving it any gas!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:14 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

i cant even move on level ground in the snow. i would never drive if i thought it was going to snow.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
odogg88
2nd Gear Member

sideways!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

IMO it comes down to using some common sense and being cautious. Under common sense, buy quality winter tires. Under being cautious, don't drive fast or be in a hurry (late), take turns slowly. Before the 80's most everyone drove RWD in the winter all across the country (and they had plenty of power) and they didn't all wreak their cars. They paid attention and drove slower and more cautiously. If you want to ensure that nothing happens to your stang, your only option is to park it, buy a 1k hoopdy and use that. Saves your stang from wear & tear, possible crashes (even those not caused by you) and if it gets wreaked it was only a hoopdy anyway.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

They suck!!! Plain and simple
Old 05-23-2006, 10:55 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: verter2

Before the 80's most everyone drove RWD in the winter all across the country (and they had plenty of power) and they didn't all wreak their cars. They paid attention and drove slower and more cautiously.
There was FAR less traffic and they used chains, atleast here in the chicago area. Lets be honest, 2-3 inches of regular chicago snow will cripple a mustang and render its useless
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i drove my 84 all winter this year with no real problem. the only time i had a problem in the snow was when i had to start on a hill even the littlest hill it wouldnt start on. i drove it in blizzard conditions one night up a pretty damn steep hill on this high way its about a half mile long took me 45 minutes to get up and half a tank of gas i thought it was a blast considering the fwd cars were the ones getting stuck i just sat back and moved the wheel back and forth to keep from swinging my *** out while everyone else had there facest glued to thier windsheilds looking where they were going. my speedo said i was doing 35 i was doing about 3-5 it was great never lost it in the snow as long as you know what you are doing you will be fine
Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

My Mustang is my Daily Driver/Beater. (Sorry guys/most don't consider my mustang a beater) But by no means is this car great for the snow. But if you don't drive like your a NASCAR driver, you should get to point A and B.

I have driven my mustang through snow and right after 4 inches on the floor. It will get out from underneath you if your cruising down a snowy road and not paying attention. Just drive carful and smart.

Tires are KEY! KEY! I was driving around on some Bald Michelin Pilots... no fun. I got me some Toyo Proxes and I was fine. Not saying that those tires are snow tires, but do get your self some decent rubber.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Mustang#2
1st Gear Member

I have driven multiple mustangs in the snow they were't really that bad at all. You just need to know how to handle a RWD car. I had a RWD ranger pickup that was much worse than any mustang I have had. I could barely move in that.

Thats not saying I enjoy driving mustangs in the snow, besides the fact it ruins them, I prefer to drive my 4X4 F150.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

If you are going to go out and spend a crap load of money on new tires for the stang you should just go buy a hatchback civic for the same price and not worry about anything.

Quick Reply: How do mustangs drive in snow?