MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   car hard to start (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/131225-car-hard-to-start.html)

mustangken 05-23-2006 01:05 PM

car hard to start

my 95 GT is hard to start after I shut it off and wait a while. I know that it is a fuel pressure problem because if I turn the key on and off a few times and build up the pressure, it will fire right up, but if I just turn it once, it will turn over for a long time before it fires up. I'm assuming that the fuel pressure is going down after I shut it off and then it has to build back up before it will start again. Does anyone on here know what causes me to loose fuel pressure? Where do I even start to look to fix this?
thanks guys

eaturls1 05-23-2006 02:28 PM

RE: car hard to start

i would put a fuel pump in it

Gtdaniel 05-23-2006 03:31 PM

no try a fuel filter first, I'm pretty sure your filter is clauged.

TENGRAM 05-23-2006 03:50 PM

i believe there is a check valve in the system, though the only one i am aware of is in the fuel pump.

mustangken 05-23-2006 04:11 PM

thanks guys. I think the fuel filter is pretty new. I will check both of them. I'd hate to take off fuel pump and change it, only to find out it wasn't that. I geuss I have to try anyway

PX429 05-23-2006 04:18 PM

Did you get a gauge to it or do you just hear the fuel pump turn on?

ORIGINAL: mustangken

if I turn the key on and off a few times and build up the pressure, it will fire right up

mustangken 05-23-2006 04:34 PM

when I turn the key, I can hear the pump turn on. After it starts, it runs beutifully with no problems at all. After i shut it off, if I start it back up again within 5 mins or so, it fires right up. It is only in the morning, or after I leave it sit for a while that it takes alot of turns to start up. If I cycle the key (turn it on and off) a few times before I start to crank it, then the pump comes on a few times and builds the pressure back up and it fires up right away. I just cant seem to figure out why it is loosing its pressure when i leave it turned off.

TENGRAM 05-23-2006 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mustangken

when I turn the key, I can hear the pump turn on. After it starts, it runs beutifully with no problems at all. After i shut it off, if I start it back up again within 5 mins or so, it fires right up. It is only in the morning, or after I leave it sit for a while that it takes alot of turns to start up. If I cycle the key (turn it on and off) a few times before I start to crank it, then the pump comes on a few times and builds the pressure back up and it fires up right away. I just cant seem to figure out why it is loosing its pressure when i leave it turned off.
before you go through the trouble of replacing your fuel pump i would check all of the lines and see if you have a leak. Good Luck let us know