5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intake manifold or heads what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default intake manifold or heads what to do

well im gunna be looking ot put some more parts into the vehicle soon and so far i dont have any serious mods. what ive been looking into changing is the upper and lower intake manifolds on the 95 . while i was looking at a few brands i started thinking, would it make more sence to change the heads instead of the intake manifold?

can you even do them seperatly or do they have to be done together???

if i deciede to do one of them are there other pparts that i am going to need to change as well cause as of now im not aware of any. THANKS for the help
Old 05-24-2006, 03:14 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: intake manifold or heads what to do

do the heads you can do intake later.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

will i be seeing a noticable differance by changing out the heads? also does anything else need ot be changed along with it at all (rockers, springs ) ? i duno TO much about changing heads sooo

also any sugjestions on good heads that arnt WAY to expnsive?? i dont got a grand to drop on them so
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

well if you dont have 1k for heads your only real alternative is used GT40's which will give you a little increase, maybe not what your expecting though.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:12 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

well would it bee worth is to drop the like 500$ for the intake manifolds and im thinking throw in a bigger throttel body? doesnt seem like i got the kinda $ i need for decent heads so.

would i have to change fuel injectors anything else laong with it?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

what year model is your car? if you don't have a mass air system, don't bother. the speed density computer will react negatively to serious improvements in flow.

save your money and put some good heads on your car. you will need to buy rockers for the heads...some use stud mount rockers and some use pedestal mount rockers, you have to he the proper rockers for the heads you buy. if you get stud mount heads, get the 7/16" studs...they will deflect less than 3/8" ones and you will obviously need the appropriate rockers. a lot of heads come with the appropriate valve springs installed. bang for the buck, i have to recommend edelbrock victor jr heads. you can get a set for a little over a grand, and they flow enough to support over 600 hp. if you can afford a couple hundred more dollars, trick flow twisted wedge heads are hard to beat. read up on valve shrouding, and will find out why. speaking of trick flow, summit sells a trick flow top end package that will save you a lot of head scratching since the components are engineered to work well together. just remember that the bigger top end hp numbers usually come at the expense of low end power. this means that you may end up with a car that is less fun to drive at normal speeds because it makes less power down low. always try to make the most power in the rpm range you drive in most often.

the stock 19lb injectors should support 350 flywheel hp. (i pulled that number out of my butt, so don't crucify me) if you don't change cams, you will not see 350 hp with heads and an intake.

the reason heads are a better choice is that the stock intake is not the choking point on th 5.0, it's the heads. aftermarket heads will flow better and have bigger valves, all of which means more power.

a cheaper way to increase the performance of your car, espeacially if it is not mass air equipped, is to change gears. 3.73 is good for autos and 4.10 for manual trans (or is it the other way around?). you should also change the driven speedo gear (costs less than $20 and takes about 15 minutes) so that your speedometer is right. 4.10 gears will make your speedo read way high.

i think that's all, if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Get trick flow heads. period. Best bang for the buck upgrade. period. Intakes dont mean **** unless you got heads that can flow what the intake can.
-P.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Heads all the way. At the very least go w/ some P heads for that stock cam. Or look at getting some used TW's or AFR's for $700+++. Get your rockers on ebay or the classifieds here and save some $$.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Its the other way around w/ the gears BTW.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

well its a 95 gt and im already getting gears most likly the 3.90. the problum with the heads is it seems like any that are good are over a grand...i got like 500 tops and wiht heads you gotta do cam and what not \

someone said trick flow heads are good what do those run for $??? also do i HAVE to do cam nad rockers and al lthat regardless of wat heads i get?

Quick Reply: intake manifold or heads what to do