5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How hard is it to rebuild an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default How hard is it to rebuild an engine

I've got some mechanical skill, but never done anything close
as to take an engine apart and putting it back together.

I've gotten some good books and it doesnt look all that hard
if you take your time and double check every step your doing
but is it realistic for a first timer to try and build my own engine?

I'll have zero help, except for me, myself and I.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: How hard is it to rebuild an engine

not that its hard just have to have a good torque wrench,ring spreader to put rings on, a ring compressor, and a good socket set etc and a very clean enviroment! to do all the work!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Tools and workshop no problem, got it all, can rent the more specialized tools, like engine stand

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

not that its hard just have to have a good torque wrench,ring spreader to put rings on, a ring compressor, and a good socket set etc and a very clean enviroment! to do all the work!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

I will highly recommend against it. You HAVE to double check all machinists work, suppose he was asleep at the wheel while working on your block, you dont have the needed tools to double check his work. People all think ya just put together an engine like legos, they soon find out thats far from the truth. Maybe a lawnmower engine.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Its easy, in my opinion probably one of the easiest things to do on a car, way easier than a trans. Like myshifter said ALWAYS double check the machinists work, so then youd need a micrometer, a bore guage, long feeler guages, and a dial indicator. But if youre doin a minor rebuild (rings and bearings only), you wont need the measurement tools. It wouldnt hurt to get some practice on how to measure all of the different tolerances. O forgot one more thing youll need - plastiguage.
-P.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:24 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Are you talking about tearing a motor down to the block and putting on your own heads, etc. etc. or taking all the internals out yadda yadda. Personally, I wouldnt do it.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

yeah i figured there was some skill/art in getting the bottom end right.

What about a short block and build up from there, better for the inexperienced?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:44 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: r.barn

yeah i figured there was some skill/art in getting the bottom end right.

What about a short block and build up from there, better for the inexperienced?
ya if your doing a stock rebuild and dont require things such as different length pushrods and so forth. If you are doing a cam change which dictates a different valve spring you will need to set installed height on the spring which will require shims, height gauge and other miscellaneous tools. Then if you plan on degreeing the cam instead of just straight up you would need dial indicator with a magnetic base, solid lifter, degree wheel and so forth. Like Pzero said its far easier than something like an auotmatic transmission, but there is a reason I have atleast 5 thousand dollars in measuring tools in my inventory. Bore gauges to check cylinder taper, bore gauges to check main bearing bore, bore gauges to check lifter bores, bore gauges to check cam bearing journals and the list goes on and on.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Alot better.... Its really alot of common sense after the shortblock is put together. I took apart my 5.0 motor a few times when it was on the stand. No big deal.

Edit: I take all this back... after listening to myshifter lol
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM
sals7tmp
1st Gear Member

this is a bit off topic but it kinda goes with some of the stuff you guys are saying. well i dont have much time to get into detail but i need to get my hands on some gauges. i dont want to spend a fortune because i dont do this stuff all the time, but i do want something that i can trust. if any of you have any links or are selling anything e-mail me at sals7tmp@yahoo.com please. i appreciate any feedback as long as its not mindless crap. peace.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to rebuild an engine