5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 03:58 AM
caesersghost

Default Car won't start

I have a 1992 mustang gt. Stopped at a gas station and when i came out the car wouldn't start. It's not the battery cause all the lights will come on. If you jumper a screwdriver on the solenoid/starter relay it will start. I have replaced the solenoid/starter relay, checked the fuses, polished off all the lugs that connect to the solenoid, have changed the keylock cylinder, replaced the ignition switch, polished and tightened the battery cables, and it will still do nothing when i try to start it. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I'm out of ideas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:02 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car won't start

ignition switch on your column
Old 05-28-2006, 04:10 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

is there a small wire on the small terminal of the starter solenoid?
there is 3 posts
the 2 big ones are for the starter circut, and the small one goes to the ignition switch.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:00 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

run a self test on it http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13
the codes should tell you what is wrong or at least what to check. could be as simple as a relay.

what does it do? does it click? turn over? do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to on? more details please
Old 05-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: caesersghost

I have a 1992 mustang gt. Stopped at a gas station and when i came out the car wouldn't start. It's not the battery cause all the lights will come on. If you jumper a screwdriver on the solenoid/starter relay it will start. I have replaced the solenoid/starter relay, checked the fuses, polished off all the lugs that connect to the solenoid, have changed the keylock cylinder, replaced the ignition switch, polished and tightened the battery cables, and it will still do nothing when i try to start it. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I'm out of ideas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
No cranking......check the following pic....(ignore the instructions, they are for a mini-starter upgrade)

Disconnect the small plug wire on top of the solenoid, get a 12vdc test light or a VOM and connect the test light clip or VOM COM lead to battery (-), have a helper press the clutch all the way down(assuming a manual tranny here) and rotate ign switch to start, check the output voltage from the cable, you should have the light on, or read 12vdc with the VOM.....if that's not the case, and since you have replaced all the parts mentioned above, the only component (besides the wire being broken) left to check, would be the clutch pedal safety switch. A problem with the switch (open) will not allow the 12vdc start voltage to get to the solenoid to activate the starter. If this is an auto, check if it starts by placing the tranny selector in neutral. My 2¢.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:01 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Is it an Auto matic or standard equiped car? If auto check the safety nuetral switch. Try starting it in park while wiggling the shifter and in nuetral doing the same. Or unplug the harness and place a jumper wire in the two terminals that have the red wire with blue tracer. If a 5 spd check you clutch safety switch and you can also use a jumper wire here.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:40 PM
caesersghost

Car is a manual transmission. I found the clutch switch, and that may be the problem, but i'm not sure how to get it out. It is up there quite a ways.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You can remove the connector and place a jumper wire to the start circuit wires, it will allow you to start the engine w/out having to press the clutch pedal.....while you id what's the problem....need to make sure you jump the correct ones though, since the switch assy. is a dual switch unit....one for the starter and one for the ECM.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
caesersghost

The clip which i think is the starter one has 3 wires, i'm not sure which is which.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Check this power distribution diagram....top right corner...you'll see the clutch switch wires....White/Pink and Red/Lt Green are the wires that would need to be bridged. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Car won't start